41 - The Square

~ Clocksworth ~

"I don't understand why we're listening to that idiot, Gaston." Roch snorted from the driver's seat.

I glanced at him and then at Bel, who was right beside him, staring out the window.
Even though I knew it was idiotic to follow my heart like this, I had to, what else could I do?  What if he was actually alive?

I turned my head and studied Gaston who was sitting next to me. If Calvos found out that Lu was alive it would be a perfect opportunity for him to catch me in a trap.  My family was my Achilles' heel, and they knew it.

Gaston felt my gaze on him and cast a nervous eye on me.  It might have been idiotic to trust him, but when I looked at him I knew he would never dare lie to me.  He was so fucking scared of me, I saw it in his eyes and I could smell it.

With a sigh, I pulled my fingers through my hair before lighting a cigar. "We can trust him, Roch."

"I hope you're right." The bald one muttered in response.

"I am, it took a lot of courage to find us after what I did to him at the castle."  I glanced at the scars around his neck.  "It's a miracle he's not dead."

Gaston met my eyes and they were locked at each other's for a while before he turned away, "Sometimes I wish you had killed me." He whispered low, triggering a tiny hint of remorse inside me.

"It's cool, Roch can stop the car and I'll solve that problem for you." Bel hissed and looked back at him with a murderous look.

"I guess you get your chance later."

I inhaled thick smoke from the cigar and shook my head and exhaled it right in Gaston's face before speaking, "We keep our word in this family."

Belmont sighed and hit the side of the car door with his fist, "Even if Lu is dead?"

Provokingly, I ashed my cigar in Gaston's lap so that the embers burned small holes in his pants, but he didn't move. He tried so hard to play the part of a tough guy, I thought, but he was just a scared boy inside.

But I didn't want the newcomer to relax too much, so with a big grin I leaned forward to pull Bel's head towards me and kiss him on the temple, "Then he's yours Little One."

I saw a smile spread across my lover's face. Right then and there I felt like giving up on my plans and just let him torture the shit out of Gaston.  But I held back, something told me we needed him.

Instead, I whispered something in Bel's ear before falling back against the backrest and looking out on the French countryside. Belmont turned to watch the road, making himself comfortable and smiled contentedly to himself.

Roch rolled his eyes and muttered something about him being a part of a bad soap opera, and Gaston fingered nervously on the seam of his jeans.

I emerged in my own deep thoughts, until the car turned sharply and I could see a glimpse of the small town on the horizon.

Roch moved uncomfortably in his seat, "Everyone in the village will spot us coming."

"It doesn't matter."

"He might be warned," our chauffeur stubbornly pointed out.

I glanced at Gaston with a smile on my face, "I'm sure he already knows we're on our way. Or what do you think?"

Gaston shrugged, "probably."

Roch glanced at us both through the rearview mirror and growled. "Remind me again why we shouldn't kill him Boss."