11- Another Lesson

The dinner was tasteless and I poked at the food while my thoughts wandered.

   Anthony constantly talked about plans and strategies, names of important people were thrown into the air but I didn't understand a thing, and I really didn't care.

  Besides, I was deep in my own thoughts.

   I thought about everything Rami said and I was curious about all the other kinds of vampires, I wanted to know more. But I got a feeling Anthony wouldn't appreciate those questions.

   I glanced at Clocksworth who was sitting obliquely opposite me, maybe I could ask him? But he had stayed away from me  lately and left my training to Sheen and Joel.

   I did not mind hanging out with them, but my head ached from all the thoughts spinning in there. The thoughts and all the fucking feelings.

   "Belmont?" I jerked in my seat as my name was pronounced harshly and it was probably not the first time. "Do you want to tell me what you're thinking about?"

   I met Anthony's gaze and it held me in an iron grip. "Just insignificant thoughts, monsieur."

   His eyes narrowed as if trying to read my mind.
   "Do you enjoy Clocksworth's group?"

   The question made me shudder, it was probably the first time Anthony'd asked me something personal.  Damn, it must be a trick question, what the hell is he after, I thought suspiciously.

   "If Lumiere needs me for more paperwork, I can- .."

  His wicked grin interrupted me, "You're smart."

   "Thank you sir."

   He licked his lips and got up from the chair "Lumiere has got a new helper."

   Lu nodded and emptied his glass, "Chip has proved very useful."

   I smiled to myself, so the boy had taken a step out of the kitchen and into the rooms where the important decisions were made.  I was happy for him and hoped that I would run into him one day and congratulate him.

   "So no Belmont, we don't need you up here. You are Clocksworth's responsibility now, as you know."

  I nodded and started poking the food again.
   Whatever they discussed before dinner, I knew it was about something regarding me and I knew it was bad.

   When Clock had given me his blood, I had gone from Anthony's favorite to one of Clock's misfits.
   It did not matter to me, I felt better down there, but the prince's attitude made me uncomfortable.

   "I like it there." I mumbled.

   Anthony chuckled, "as I suspected."

   I felt Clocksworth's burning eyes on me and I raised my eyes to meet them. My heart was pounding but I pretended to be unmoved.
   We looked at each other for a while before he apologised and left the table.

   I sighed and stirred the food around my plate a little more and waited for the rest to leave.

   It took about half an hour before I finally sat alone, I wanted some peace and quiet and I needed energy to keep up with my new responsibilities.

  So I pushed the plate  away from me left the room and moved for storage room B. But as I calmed down I felt my feet take me in another direction.

  "Your Majesty.." Anthony turned his attention from the papers on his desk and glanced at me with amusement.

   "Why so formal Belmont?"

   I took a step forward and felt my confidence rumble, "You said you had answers to all my questions."