15 - The recruits

Clocksworth stood wide-legged and with his arms crossed when he eyed the rough bunch standing in front of us.

   He had just gone through Anthony's rules when I felt a small body jump up on my back and skinny legs with fishnet stockings lock around my waist. 

  A pair of thin arms wrap around my neck and a smooth cheek leans against mine. "Hey Mari."

   "Hi Beau. Did you have fun yesterday?"
   I turned my head and looked into the blue eyes that were framed with way too much eyeliner.

   "You were there?" She nodded and giggled contentedly. "Then you know we had fun," I laughed.

   "It looked like it," she chirped.

   "What were you doing there anyways?"

   "I had no idea you're the boss's little toy." She looked at me out of the corner of her eye.

   "Mhmm... beware."  I grinned and ignored that she changed the subject.

   She wrapped her arms tighter around my neck as she glanced curiously at the group in front of us.
   "So those are our new friends."

   "Not sure I would call them fire- .."

   "Are you my friend then?"  She interrupted quickly before I even had time to finish.

   "Of course," I snickered and she gave me a kiss on the cheek.

   Clocksworth turned his back on the group, which dispersed into smaller clusters to supply themselves with weapons and equipment.

   He sighed heavily when he approached us.
   "Are they that bad?"  I asked worriedly

   "No, but too few."

   "Okay, so let's find more."

   Clock shook his head "Calvos has already recruited everyone in town."

   "So we search other towns."

   "There's no time Bel."

   He glanced at the little backpack that clung to me, "Please tell me you have good news Marianne."

   "Maybe."

   He frowned worriedly and waited patiently as I tried to put her down, but stubbornly she clung tighter to me.

   "Mari?"

   "Yes, right .. I have no cure for it ..." she began to explain as she leaned her chin against my shoulder so that her head bobbed up and down as she spoke "But I know where they make it!" She still had her arms around my shoulders and held out her hand to Clock. "There's a post-it note in my sleeve."

   He shook his head and rolled his eyes as he found the note she had tucked between her arm and some bracelets.  He unfolded the little neon green patch with an amused smile on his lips in his otherwise serious face.

   "Thought Lumiere had taught you to spell by now."

   She gave him a sly smile "Leave my cupcake out of this."

   I could barely keep from laughing "Cupcake?"

   "Mhmm ..." she giggled "we love each other ... just like you and monsieur serious."

   Surprised, I exchanged glances with Clocksworth but he just nodded.

   "For real??!"  I mimicked and he laughed.

   "Marianne is part of the family."

   "Thank you darling," she mumbled quietly and let her head sink heavier on my shoulder.  "But we haven't talked to each other in months."