17 - Fire

We ran. Through corridors and down stairs. They were everywhere, they crawled inside the walls, on the walls and in the ceilings.

   My sword moved in unfamiliar movements, I did not think I just reacted. I had to survive,  we all had to survive. It could not end like this!

  Clocksworth stood right behind me, the man I loved so damn much. We had to survive, we had to!

   The lifeless bodies fell down and formed a slimy mess at his feet, but the sound of the machine gun attracted more and more of them.

   "Bel! ... above you!" I stuck the tip of my sword straight up and I felt it's stinking blood drip down over me as I took a quick step back and saw the twisted body fall down in front of me. "We have to get downstairs, Lu texted, they're stuck in the library."

   I nodded and wiped the blood from my face.
   "It's quiet," I mumbled, "too quiet."

   The sound of guns and rifles had died down. We ran again. They were behind us. Whistling sounds, scratching claws. They came closer. Fuck!

   I stopped with a jerk.  They were all over the stairs, clinging to the roof and the walls. My heart was pounding, we were surrounded.

   "Over here!" Clock grabbed my sweater and pulled me inside a room.
We quickly moved a bookshelf in front of the door, then a dresser and then the whole fucking bed. He ran to the window and opened it wide. "We need to climb."

   I nodded but gasped as I looked down. He met my gaze and we both knew we had no other choice.

   "They'll die from the sunlight, that's our only chance."

  Screams were suddenly heard outside the door, louder and louder. Then suddenly it all became quiet. Then came the stench of burnt meat.

   "Boss! Are you in there?"

   "Roch!" We pulled away the furniture and slammed the door open.

   "Damn, I'm glad to see you!" the bald vampire sighed with a wide smile.

   "Where are the others?"

   Roch shook his head, "everyone is scattered, we got separated."

   "We have to move downstairs..."

   "I have cleared the way," he grinned contentedly.

   We stepped out of the room and I covered my mouth and nose with my armpit trying not to vomit, the stench from the burned bodies was unbearable, as Roch had burned them all with some kind of flamethrower.

   "What the hell did they come from !?" Clock sighed.

   "They were locked inside storage room B." I answers him.

   "Shit! They must have arrived with the latest delivery."

   "It sounds like we have a traitor in the castle."

   I glanced at Clock who nodded, "Sounds like it."

   We climbed over charred bodies and down the stairs. Roch looked around wide-eyed, "nice place this."

   "I don't know .. there's a terrible stench." That voice! I spun around and stared hatefully at Gaston who had just come out of one of the side rooms.

   "YOU!"

   He grinned broadly and purred in a soft voice "Hello Bel-bel, nice to see you again." I raised my sword and was about to rush at him with a roar. "A .. a ..aaaa .. I wouldn't be so cocky if I were you."