7 - The cell

I placed my palms against the door and tried to push it open with all my might, but it wouldn't move.

  Instead, I tried to put my shoulder against it and press with the strength of my whole body, but it didn't take long before I gave up.

   My gaze wandered over the shelves with blood filled bags, there must be something I can use as  a tool in here, I thought.
I tried not to touch anything as I searched the shelves.
My body started to shiver as the room was freezing cold and my movements felt slower than usual.

  Suddenly my heart jumped as I saw the keychain hanging on the wall.  I rushed over and pulled it down from the hook, a thousand thoughts spinning in my head as a feeling of panic started to grow inside me, why the hell was he locked up and why did it sound like he was dying!

   I ran to the door and put the first key in the lock.
   It didn't fit, not the second one either .. and not the third .. what the hell!... this one was too big..!

   After what felt like an eternity, I finally found one key that slid into the lock and I was able to turn it.
   I gently pushed down the handle and the door slammed open, much harder than I intended.
  The sight in front of me made my stomach turn in and out.

   Clocksworth sat on his knees on the cold concrete floor with both hands hanging behind him, his wrists chained to the wall with silver shackles.  His skin was gone where the silver had burned him down to the bone and  blood was running down his arms.

   "Fuck", I whispered, what the hell should I do now?  How could I free him? Should I look for tools?  Get Lu?  My heart was beating like never before but all I could do was to stand there and stare at him.

   "Are you just going to stand there?" He grinned, but behind his usual smile I noticed a lot of pain.

   I shook my head and fell to my knees in front of him. I gently pulled the hair out of his eyes and put my hands around his neck to give him some support.

   "What the hell Tick-Tock, what the fuck did you do..?"

   He glanced up at me and looked into my eyes, filled with pain, but still with a playful smile on his face, "it's nothing kid, stuff happens."

   I leaned my forehead against his and shook my head, "Really?"

   Clock didn't answer but his gaze said more than a thousand words, he looked defeated and I had never seen him like that before, as if his self-confidence had been thrown away.

   "I'm going to get you out of here." I whispered.

   "No."

   "Clock .." I pleaded with him, but to no use.

   "No Bel, you're not getting yourself involved in this!" His voice was weak but still determined and it made my heart break.

   "Shut up! I know why you're here, it's my fault!" I yelled at him and rose to my feet.

   "No."  He sighed quietly, "It's me who needs to learn to control myself."

   "So I should just go? Leave and lock the door?" I gasped and pointed at the heavy metal frame.

   "Yes."

   "I can't." I said and I tried to make eye contact with him again by placing my hand around his neck, but he stared firmly at the floor. I bit my lip and let go of his neck with a sigh. "I can't  fucking handle this anymore, I don't give a shit about Gaston and my debts, to be chased by him is better than this fucking life." I wiped the tears from my eyes with my sleeve and slowly got up.