48 - Brothers

~ Clocksworth ~

"There's something I want to ask you." Lumiere looked questioningly up from his paperwork as I walked into his study. "There's a question I've been trying to solve for months, and the only answer I can think of bothers me like hell."  I continued and sat down in the chair that was on display for visitors.

"Enlighten me and maybe I can solve the issue for you." He said calmly.

"Ever since we came back to France, all the princes have stayed away, I have not seen a glimpse of anyone."  I let my fingers grace the armrest and met his gaze, "and I have no feeling they want to kill me."

"No?" He walked over to the bookshelf at the other end of the room and took out two glasses and a bottle.

"Calvos sought me out and wanted a meeting."

"He probably understood that you were stronger than him."  He interrupted but I ignored his claim and continued.

"Levi welcomed me and said nothing about any threat from any of his brothers."

"Why would he do that? He does not want to be the one to start a civil war, does he?"

He put down a glass in front of me and filled it up with the amber drink but I did not touch the glass.

"Lu."  He met my gaze.  "Did you send the assassins after me in New York?" He sipped quietly on the whiskey and I knew I had my answer but I still wanted to hear him say it. "Lumiere!"

He took a deep breath, "Yes."

With a sigh, I rested my head in my hands and tried to gather my thoughts, "Why?"

I felt him take a few steps closer to me and soon I could feel his cool hand on my shoulder, "Because I needed you here."

I shook my head, "You could have called and asked me to come home."

"Yes," he answered with a soft voice.

"But then I would not have started this war for you." I muttered "because surely it was your plan all this time?"

"You had already made a name for yourself." He agreed.

I sighed heavily and stood up to meet his ice blue eyes. "There are only two princes left." He nodded and I felt his gaze penetrate me. "I'll help you get their powers if I have to drag them here myself."

He raised an eyebrow. "But?"

"I'm tired Lu, so fucking tired of all the politics and death." With a sigh, I put both hands around his neck and pulled him closer to me so that our foreheads were leaning against each other. "When it's over, you have to let me go."

He took a quick breath and whispered softly, "But I need you here."

"Promise me you'll let me go." I insisted with a harsher tone in my voice. With a deep sigh he let his arms envelop me in a hug and I felt his whole body shiver and I knew he was scared. Scared to be alone.
"Lumiere ..." I whispered softly, "Promise me."

After a long moment of silence, I felt his head move up and down against my cheek in a jerky nodding motion. And then, finally came the words I was waiting for, "I promise."

***

I immediately stopped in my tracks as I was about to enter the room, all I could do was to stare at his back. 

He was so fucking beautiful where he stood by the window in our bedroom, with the moonlight shining over his bare upper body.

I've always loved his slim physique but now I could tell he had become stronger, I could clearly see the muscles moving underneath his pale skin. Damn, I've been longing for him for so long now. Always busy with work.