Chapter 8

TRIGGER WARNINGS:
EXPLICIT LANGUAGE
SWEARING
VIOLENCE/GUN VIOLENCE
ALCOHOL

Raphael and I stood in the living room, dressed in suits. We both wore white shirts however, only I wore a black tie, with Raf being less formal. Our suits fitted us perfectly, our hair neatly combed and we only carried a single gun each.

A week had passed and it now was the day of the ball and by now my stubble had grown back. We were almost ready to go, the event started pretty late in the evening and was expected to last most of the night. Many of the people attending would be coming from abroad so they would most definitely be staying the night or two. This was my home so I needed to ensure everyone knew that. I wasn't to be fucked with regardless of status.

"Hold still, your tie is crooked." Mara muttered as she grabbed my tie and adjusted it. She grabbed it unnecessarily forcefully if you ask me. I looked down at her and sighed. Raphael was chuckling across from me as he refrained from rolling his sleeves up. No doubt he would do so later on in the night.

Mara stayed for a few days longer than anticipated. Raf and I thoroughly enjoyed taking her shopping but I was fucking glad she was finally going back to Italy. Back to her job and back to her girlfriend. Fucking hell, women are incredibly complex.

"Remember, don't kill anyone." Mara reminded me. "Who do you think we are, of course we won't kill anyone." I smirked and looked at Raf. She hummed and crossed her arms. "It's a good thing that this year you aren't allowed any weapons inside." She muttered.

"Shame. I would so love to fucking gut James. I swear, if I even see his face I will not hesitate." I smirked much to Mara's disappointment. Raphael snickered. We hated the man. He was the heir to the British mafia. An all round bastard. He was older than me at twenty five but he acted like a spoiled child. As if a silver spoon was shoved up his ass.

Raphael and I mocked him endlessly, I did not care. What could he possibly do. Of course, I was careful not to disrupt our agreement. We did not intervene in each other's business. Simple enough.

"And you Raf." Mara pointed a finger at him. He looked at her as innocent as ever. "Don't get drunk and start a fight. You aren't Enzo." She said sternly. "What do you mean, I'm not Enzo?" He asked with his mouth hanging open.

"Well you know, he's the boss, he can get away with things, whereas you can't." She waved her hand between us both. I looked at Raf. "But don't worry Raf, I will always have your back. If someone wants to beat the shit out of you, I'll fucking kill them."

"Wow. My hero." Raf mocked as he rolled his eyes. I chuckled and Mara looked at her watch. "I have to go. I'll miss the flight." She picked up her bag. "Are you fucking stupid Mara? It's a private plane. Meaning it will fly whenever you want it to fly." Raf laughed making me laugh.

Mara looked unimpressed at us. "I hate you both." She pouted. After we all made up and Raf and I hugged her, she left in a SUV heading for the plane. I didn't know when I would be seeing her again.

"Well I guess we should go otherwise we will be late and how fucking embarrassing would that be." I said as I headed for the door. Raf followed behind me and Sergio followed him.

The ball was just an hour away and we arrived just in time. It was being held at a large estate, with over sixty bedrooms, four pools and about  forty acres of land. I just hoped it was big enough to keep everyone I hated out of my sight or I wouldn't be held responsible for my actions.

The estate itself was lit up brightly. There was quite a lot of cars here already, all of them being very high end, from Lamborghinis to Bugatti's. Everyone wanted to flaunt their wealth, I just thought it was tacky.