Chapter 26

TRIGGER WARNINGS:
EXPLICIT LANGUAGE
SWEARING
VIOLENCE
SMOKING/ALCOHOL
BLOOD/DEATH/GORE

I didn't know whether Mara spoke to Emily or if she understood the situation so I was going to find her and have a talk. Just a little conversation. I didn't like to see Mara upset. Especially since what I did for a living effected her. I never wanted it to.

"Are you going to talk to Emily?" Raphael asked as he entered the kitchen. We both found it hard to sleep, I tossed and turned most of the night until I finally got up and decided to get dressed. Raf rubbed his neck and yawned while trudging over to the fridge barefoot.

I nodded at him. "Can you get dressed you fucker. I have something for you to take care off." I sipped on my black coffee and placed my phone into the pocket of my jeans. "Nico." He stated almost with excitement.

I tutted with a grin. "No no, he's mine. You, my brother, have to go visit the dock." I finished my coffee and stood up. Raf glowered at me. "The fucking dock..why do I." He clicked his tongue. "Fine, consider it done."

Raf despised going to the dock. But all he really had to do was kick some asses into line and check everything over. A simple task really. A simple task I couldn't be bothered to deal with. That was the beauty of being the boss.

"Make sure the shipment is legitimate and keep the fucking cops off your ass." I said as Sergio held the door open for me. Raf scoffed. "It's not my first time Enzo." Indeed it wasn't his first time, he knew exactly what to do.

I headed outside, the morning sun hit me along with a gentle breeze. It was a nice day and I intended on keeping it that way.

"Sergio you go with Raf." I said as I got into my car. He nodded and headed back inside. I wanted to go alone, perhaps that way I would seem less threatening to Emily.

I soon turned up at her apartment. It was easy to find out where she lived and if I wanted to, I could find out anything I wanted. I had connections everywhere. I knocked on the door and got no answer so I waited.

The apartment door down the hall opened and a man stepped outside. He looked me up and down with a dirty look in his eyes. "Non sei di queste parti (You're not from around here)" He said, his face held an ugly scowl. His voice was gritty and hoarse.

"No io non sono. Adesso vaffanculo (No I am not. Now fuck off)" I said calmly as I looked away from the man. The man chuckled an ugly tune. "Bastardo..è una fottuta fica  (Bastard..she's a fucking cunt)" The man laughed hysterically. I looked at him, he reeked of smoke and sweat. He was scum. I did not appreciate being called names. 

Before I could take a step towards him, the door opened. "What are you doing here?" Emily asked quickly. I shall deal with that man later. "I need to talk to you. Please." I said. Emily looked up at me with worry and uncertainty.

"Look I come here as a brother. I have nothing on me and I won't touch you." I said as I showed her my hands. "I am a man of my word, please." I held my hand down and pointed it inside.

She looked hesitant at first but ultimately allowed me to enter. Her apartment was small but cosy. It was an open plan, so we sat down at the kitchen table. I crossed my feet and leaned back.

"What do you want to say? I have work soon." She said, breaking the silence. She fiddled with her fingers nervously. "The man next door, does he treat you badly?" I asked. She looked at me puzzled as if she wasn't expecting me to ask that. Judging by her reaction, she did not particularly like the man.

"You're leaving Mara because of me? Because of what I do?" I asked although I already knew the answer. Emily scoffed. She wasn't afraid, that's also what I liked about her. For the time she didn't know who I was, what I did, she was never afraid. And now, she fidgeted, her eyes kept stealing glances at the clock across the room and her feet pointed towards the door. Shit.