11 - Soccer Practice

^^West Hills High soccer field.

Lillian's POV

I walked out of Ben's house with him and saw Chloe in her car, waving her hand furiously.

“Hurry, before I get caught!” Chloe yelled.

I asked her to come inside, but she refused, saying she doesn’t want to since Louis was inside. She’s still embarrassed about what happened last night at the party.

I turned towards Ben and smiled. “I’ll see you at school.”

He returned my smile and did the last thing I expected from him. He pulled me into a bear hug.

“Thank you for everything.” He whispered.

I patted his back. “Thank you, too.”

We let go of each other with huge grins on our faces, and I padded to Chloe’s car. I waved to Ben one last time and opened the door. Sitting in the passenger seat, I saw Chloe gawking at me.

“What the hell happened between you two last night?” Chloe inquired.

“We had a nice chat and now we’re friends.” I shrugged.

“Friends?” Chloe chuckled, driving towards the main road. “So you guys in the ‘We are just friends’ phase.”

“There’s no phase.” I sighed, wearing my seat belt.

“Time will tell.” She gave me a sly smirk. “When you two will elope to Vegas, I won’t sign the witness paper until you say that I was always right.”

“First that will not happen and second elope?” I raised my brows.

“Brittany will not let you two get married that easily.”

I rolled my eyes and changed the topic. “Are you over ‘your’ embarrassment phase?”

Chloe abruptly hit the brakes in the middle of the road, making us jerk forward. We didn’t hit our heads because of the seat belt but it clenched my chest. I winced and rubbed my chest.

“Oh my God!” she groaned. “It was so horrible. I couldn’t sleep all night because it kept replaying in my head!...” She started babbling and I looked around to see we were in the middle of the road but was glad that it was Sunday and too early for people to be coming out of their houses.

I observed Chloe as she furiously waved her hands. She looked tired and had dark circles under her eyes, and they looked puffy. Now I felt bad for reminding her.

“... I lost my only chance of spending time with Louis.” She glanced at me with glossy eyes and whimpered. “I lost my golden seven minutes!”

“Chloe...” I took the seat belt off and leaned to her. She hugged me tightly and sobbed. “It’s alright. You’ll get another chance.”

“B-but I embarrassed myself!” She howled.

“No, you didn't.” I rubbed her back. “Louis asked about you in the morning.”

Chloe’s cry creased and she jerked back, looking at me with her wide hazel eyes. “He did?”

I nodded and gave her an assuring smile. “I told him you puked because you drank too much.”

“And... What did he say?” She sniffed and shifted closer to me.

“He was worried that you might think his haircut was bad, and that’s why you puked but I assured him it’s not.”

“Oh my God!” She dramatically jolted back. “Why would he think it’s bad! It’s so damn hot! I want to lock him in my room and do...”

And she’s back.