36 - I like him

^^West High

Lillian's POV

"You need to apply the quadratic formula here."

"But I can do it this way, too. It's easier."

"You can, but the formula is the requirement of the questions." I pointed out. "You will only get the marks if you do it according to the requirements."

"Geez, I loathe maths." Louis groaned. "You can do it in an easier method too, but no go for the hard one." He grumbled, and I chuckled.

It was Saturday, and we were sitting in the private room of West Hills Hospital. On the last Saturday of every month, Louis had his chemotherapy. In the past months, he did it alone because his siblings were busy with their schedules and his parents would always burst out crying when they see him in this condition.

I'm sure the Clichés would have come to these and helped him spend his time, but Louis is still not ready to tell anyone about this sickness, not even Chloe.

I knew if Chloe was aware of this, she would have never let Louis go through this alone. As her best friend, I went with Louis to give him some company and also assist him to study for his maths exam.

So here I was, sitting on the comfy white couch of the room while Louis was on the hospital bed. The room contained a few pieces of furniture, like a bed, TV, couches, a few simple paintings, and flowers decorated in vases on the side table, and their fresh scent filled the room. The sunlight from the window brightened the room, and specks of dust floated around in the rays.

This wasn't my first time at a hospital. My mom is a nurse, so I'm used to it, but I never visited a private room. The room was silent and we could hear no voice from outside, only the machine's continuous beeping tone.

My heart ached to see all the wires attached to Louis, but I kept my expressions restful because I was here to support him, not make him feel pity.

"Can we take a break?" Louis said, closing his books. "I'm having a headache."

Every fifteen minutes Louis would take a break because of his headaches, and I understood him.

"Sure." I smiled, closing my books.

"I have a love-hate relationship with March." Louis sighed. "Hate because we have exams and love because we get spring breaks after this. And this will be our last spring break." He said, then glanced at me. "I mean, you still have one more since you're a junior."

"What did you do last year?" I questioned, sitting on the couch with crossed legs.

"All of us went to the Forbes beach house in the spring break. There is also a theme park there: we went to the carnivals, and concerts, play games there and spent the entire week at the beach." His lips curled into a smile at the memory. "Here, I'll show you the pictures we took."

I got up from my seat and stood next to him. Louis picked up his phone and showed me the pictures. One of them was the group picture I saw in Andrew's and Tiana's room.

"We all have this picture in our rooms. Before this, we went to Disney land and took a picture there too and then replace it with this new one." He let out a deep sigh. "We were supposed to go to the beach house this year again but... No one is even properly talking to each other."

I observed Louis's sad face and felt bad for what happened with the Clichés. This is going to be their last spring break, and they were not even on talking terms.

"I'm sure everything will be fine." I patted his shoulder.

"I wish." He switched his phone off and put it aside. The atmosphere suddenly became gloomy, and I thought of changing the subject.