38 - Tonight (2)

Lillian's POV

"I need some air." Chloe panicked after seeing Louis's text.

"Wait wha-"

"Air! Outside! Now!" She dragged us outside to the backyard.

My eyes widened when I saw a deep blue pool in the yard. It was a long rectangle pool, and the water sparkled as the moonlight reflected it.

Wow...

"Relax girl, you haven't asked him yet." Toby tried to calm her.

"I just..." She gulped.

"Take deep breaths with me... Inhale... Exhale..." Toby took a breath and Chloe copied him.

"Alright... I'm fine."

"I'm not sure if you can do this." Toby pointed. "You should try it some other time-"

"I think you're right," Chloe murmured, and I gaped.

"What? You're giving up?"

"I want to declare my love for him, but I don't think I can do it." She huffed.

"Where did Chloe, who doesn't give up go?"

"Sometimes you need to take a step back." She shrugged. I was about to scold her, but her eyes darted behind me and widened.

"Incoming." She murmured, and I turned my head to see Ben coming toward us.

"How about we talk this through?" Toby plopped his arm around Chloe and she bobbed her head.

"What?" I frowned, and he smirked.

"You have some other things to discuss." I watched as he and Chloe walked around the pool. Toby and Ben gave each other a nod, and I had a feeling this was planned.

"Lillian..." Ben stopped in front of me and jammed his hands in the pockets of the blue jeans he wore with a white Nike shirt and the same color shoes.

" Ben stopped in front of me and jammed his hands in the pockets of the blue jeans he wore with a white Nike shirt and the same color shoes

"Ben..." I gave him a nod and looked around.

It's been a month since we last talked at the Singletines party. I remembered how I told him to stay away from me and that's what he did. Even though we met a lot of times in the hallways but he stayed away.

We both stood there like idiots and no one said anything. It was a surprise that he came to talk to me, so I didn't think of how to talk to him.

"Well... This is awkward." Ben grumbled and scratched the back of his neck.

"Um..." I shifted my position. I knew I had to apologize to him for what I said that day. I overreacted that time and it wasn't his fault.

"I'm sorry..." we simultaneously said.

"Why are you sorry?" I tilted my head.

"I'm sorry that I didn't tell you about Andrew. I knew likes you, he came and ask for my permission to ask you out-"