49 - Dinner (2)

^^Kitchen

Lillian's POV

Flickering my eyes between Andrew and his father, I watched them argue. I didn't know how the conversation from siblings to career went in the direction of this and they ended up fighting.

Andrew whirled his head towards me with regret written all over his face. I averted my eyes from him and looked down at my empty plate, not sure if I should say something. The cheerful atmosphere a minute ago just vanished in a second.

I got Andrew despised being a lawyer and his dad still taunted him for it.

"Sorry." He grumbled and marched out of the kitchen. We heard his footsteps storming upstairs, then a door slammed shut, making me flinch a little.

It was awkward sitting at the table with his parents. When I peeked up, Mr. and Mrs. Pierce were looking at each other in shame. Even AJ was sitting in the room's corner with his head and ears hung down.

"Um... The food was delicious, Mrs. Pierce." I asserted, trying to get out of the situation. "The beefsteak was tender, chipotle was juicy and I love the pasta sauce." I dwelled.

"I like the caramel pudding," Abigail mumbled, and my eyes snapped to her.

She also looked unsettled by the mood and was trying to overcome it.

"I think the cheesecake was tastier." I beamed, which she returned.

"Nah-eh, the cheese doesn't even compete with caramel."

"But the cake was spongy."

"The pudding melted in my mouth." She made a chef kiss. "Lit!"

We began giggling, and I glanced at Mrs. Pierce, who had a grateful smile on her face while Mr. Pierce got up from his seat, clearing his throat.

"It's lovely meeting you again, Miss Smith. Good to have some young smart company."

"I enjoyed it too, Mr. Pierce." I tried to give him my best smile, but it wavered when I saw sadness in his eyes.

"Good to know. Sorry to cut the dinner short, but I need to wrap some work up, so I'd like to be excused." He gave me a smile that looked similar to Andrew's. "Hope you see to again."

"You too," I mumbled and watched him stride out of the kitchen.

Andrew looked exactly like his dad, with his dark brown hair. All the three siblings shared the same blue eyes as their dad, but Abigail and Austin are blond like their mother.

"Abigail, why don't you finish your drawing?" Mrs. Pierce said, getting up from her seat. "I need to clean up the table."

"Sure," she murmured and hopped out of her chair. "Let's go AJ."

"WOOF!" AJ barked and followed her with his tail wiggling.

Before leaving, Abigail turned at the door frame and gave me a sweet smile. "I like you."

I was taken aback by her confession because the last time we met she hated me and accused me of being googly around her crush. Now that she was over Nate, I was on her good side.

"I like you too." I chuckled. She gave me a cheeky grin and then bounced into another room with AJ.

"I'm sorry about that dear." Mrs. Pierce apologized as she began cleaning the table. "The dinner was a disaster!"

"Not that bad." I gathered the dishes dirty dishes together. "Let me help you."

"You're a sweet child." She smiled. I felt my cheeks turn pink, and we stepped into the open kitchen adjacent to the dining room.