Strength

It's raining, and I'm running. Running, farther then I've ever ran. I had set up to go to James' home, but I didn't know anymore. Maybe I could just run away-- live on the streets for the next week. I had everything, anyways. 

        After running about 10 miles away from my home, I had decided to take a break. The apartments were really nice, so I just sat on the hedges protecting the place. I feel something in my pocket-- a note. Why was note in my-- oh. "Oh my God, I still have this?" I ask myself, looking down at the wet piece of paper with the numbers on it. It was Aaron's. 

        More tears had rushed down my cheeks, as I pulled out my phone. When I had entered the number, I had gotten pretty quiet. I dunno, I mean, I hadn't talked to the poor guy in awhile. A few rings, and he picked up. "Hello? Who are you?" I hear him ask. His voice is deep-- he's eighteen. Meaning, this is his university dorm.        

        "Hi Aaron," I pause, "It's Brooke." "Omigod! Brooke!" He exclaims, "How are you?" I hear him close his door, and grab his homework from his bag. I take a deep sigh, "Not so good."

~~~~~

        It took a while to explain to him my situation without uncovering anything. I still couldn't tell him about me being a wizard, even if we already gave it away. And explaining everything to him was most certainly hard, but I convinced him. I don't know how the guy got into uni! Anyways, he let me stay in for the week. 

        His apartment is full of school posters, 3 packs of beer on the fridge and a bunch of clothes messily placed on his sofa. He was an obvious party-expert, social butterfly, but he didn't drink. Everybody else did. He's just the host for all of them. He had an extra bedroom, AKA a big laundry room turned into a bedroom with a single bed and a bunk bed. Assumingly for his sisters and Mum when they come over, but now, I'll just take the top bunk.         

        I open my bag and find the hidden compartment with some parchment and ink in them. Then I start writing, a letter.

Good afternoon, James. 

        Sorry I couldn't come to your place-- I got too emotional. I only have about 100 pounds and I am trying to save up. Turns out, that Steve kid is nearby, and is letting me stay in. I ran about 32 kilometers from my house, tears streaming down my face. I think I'll only stay here for the night, maybe come into your place if you let me. If you don't, maybe I'll just stay here until 7th year.

        Today was a bad day. I remember the last thing I had heard from my brother was him laughing, and even then I could tell it was forced. He knew I had to do it someday, he knew. He was my favorite. Emma could tell, but didn't think I would. I would though, if it were to safe their lives. I saw all the pictures of me in the photographs fade away, the more they disappeared, the more little pieces of my heart broke. And I don't know why I must tell you these things, I just feel like I do. I know you can't understand or relate, but maybe, maybe a little sympathy from someone isn't so bad. 

        So yeah, that is what happened today. Say hi to Sirius and Remus (I would count Peter, though know one really does anymore. What happened to the guy?), and Lily. Tell the boys I miss them and love them, and tell your parents I might be coming to my only home now. 

        Sincerely yours, Brooklyn. 

        "Hey, Brooke," Aaron comes in, his brown hair all messy, "I'm going to go to the grocery store. We're out of food." He remarks, waving me goodbye. I smile, "Okay." "I'll be back in 20 minutes." He then closes the door, and walks out. He has a busy day tomorrow. Classes and lectures-- his schedule is stuck to the fridge. He also has finals week in a week, Science major.

        Anywho, my owl comes in. I think he follows me by this point, but I guess every owl does the same to their owner. I give it some leftover bread, all the leftover bread, and give him the letter. "James' home." I tell him, my face as bland as it could ever be. 

        There was nothing to be enthusiastic about.