Chapter - 16

Happy reading 🌻

Evelyn 🌕

               I was finally feeling happy again. Sylvie and I were relieved that my dad let him out of there even though it came with a condition. I didn't mind. At first I was mad but it was just Josh. I don't mind my best friend being around my mate. Maybe they two could get along and my dad would finally believe that my mate isn't 'dangerous'. Either way I was just content that we don't have to be in there any longer. 

The thought of having my mate near was making me too excited and nervous. A part of me was even scared that he'd straight up refuse to leave with me. I instantly froze when I remembered that I still haven't asked for his name making J run in to my back. Well, technically I did ask and he was the one who refused to tell me. That thought did hurt me. He didn't even trust me with his name. "What's wrong?" J asked looking around us probably thinking that I sensed someone. "I... I don't know his name." I mumbled as my cheeks burnt red in embarrassment. "He didn't even tell you his name?" 

I felt so stupid and small at that moment which I never do. His question just made me realise just how pathetic I was right now. I really really wish that no one has to go through this. J took my silence as the answer and he was clearly not pleased with that piece of information by how hard he clenched his jaw. I sighed and just continued the walk with nothing but silence. Once we got there, I was hesitant to go inside the building. 

I gave him my kill as a gift which mates often do to each other to express their love. He didn't refuse it but it wouldn't be a surprise if he didn't accept my offering. With a deep breathe we both entered the building making our nose twitch with the smell of blood. My heart accelerated at the thought of my mate having eaten the carcass. Soon enough I was in front of his cell with the keys in my gloved hand. My eyes almost popped out of it's socket as I saw him putting on his shirt back as his back muscles flexed making me gulp and look away. I knew he changed into his wolf form to eat it the minute I looked at the ground and saw that almost all of the deer was eaten and just a few were left over. 

"I was hungry."

I bit my lip from smiling too much as I nodded my head. "Glad you accepted my offering." I said fiddling with the sleeve of my shirt. "That's the only thing I was offered in the last 4 days." The smile and the little happiness that bloomed was instantly wiped out at his words. I felt J's anger radiate out of him so I just went ahead and opened his door. He gave me a confused look and quirked an eyebrow. "You don't have to be in here anymore. You'll be staying with me." 

Even though he just did hurt me seconds ago I couldn't help but smile at him. It was like a default setting. Every time I look at him I instantly break into a smile. I gasped and clutched my left hand as he wrapped his bare hand around the silver bar and slide it shut. The burning was a little intense as I did not see that coming at all. J was right beside me in the next moment throwing the gloves aside as he examined my burnt palm. 

"I'd rather stay here."

He said through gritted teeth and it felt like I was just stabbed straight in the heart. I could tell that J was confused as to how I felt his pain because we aren't mated yet. Truthfully, I didn't know either so I just focused on stopping myself from crying than thinking about the possibilities. "It wasn't a choice. You are her mate so you WILL stay with her." J was practically fuming. Even though my wolf didn't like his tone I didn't stop him. Josh saw him just as a wolf who disrespected his Alpha. It doesn't matter who to him until we're officially baring our marks on each other.

 I placed a hand on his shoulder giving him a reassuring smile. "Look I don't know why you're doing this. But this is the only way you have to get out of this hell hole. You either stay with me or stay here. The choice is yours." I knew he'd cave in. I mean, who would want to stay there? It still hurts though, seeing him think this hard about staying with me but I just pushed that aside for now. The more he thought the more impatient I was becoming. I had to do something to make him oblige. A sudden idea sparked in my head which I didn't even know if it'll work but decided to try. 

"Please, for me... Renzo.

The way his head snapped at the name confirmed my theory that Renzo was indeed his wolf's name. The way he looked at me while saying his name that day now made sense. No matter how hard he might resist me, his wolf can't. That's how mates work. Our wolfs make our connection stronger and it is almost impossible for a wolf to say no to their mate. The way he shut his eyes and sighed, I knew his wolf convinced him. "Fine." He said with a roll of eye and yanked the door open once more making me yelp in pain yet again. "Will you stop doing that?" J hollered shoving his shoulder. 

"I don't understand how the fuck he can hurt his own mate." J spat and took my palm in his once again, tracing the fading burnt mark. "It'll go away in a few seconds J." I offered him a smile but he just ignored it and continued to glare at my mate. 

Too much for thinking that they'd get along. 

The walk home was incredibly awkward and the tension was almost suffocating. Josh was still holding my hand in his asking if I was okay now and then. I could feel my mate burning holes through my head but I didn't pay any attention to him. I have far more bigger things to concentrate about than his glaring. Like how the fuck am I going to stay in the same room as him? How are we supposed to share the same bed when he refuses to tell me his name itself? 

As soon as I set my foot in the house everyone stopped what they were doing and stared at us. By now everyone must've known what happened on my birthday. So they were either staring at us in curiosity to see who my mate is or who is the stranger I'm brining along with me. I just rolled my eyes and grabbed my mate's hand and lead us to the stairs. The minute we were out of my people's sight he yanked his hand out of my grip. At this point that didn't even hurt. J's face turned red in anger and he looked like he is about to beat the shit out of my mate. 

I looped my hand in J's smiling at him. He just shook his head disappointedly before started walking. The thing is, J and I always have talked about finding our mate and stuff. He knew how much I dreamed of this and he's too disappointed in how my mate is treating me. If I were him I would to. At least I have him. I don't know what I'd do if J isn't there with me. "You know, I could really use a movie night. Like the old days" 

"If that's what you want". I sighed not liking how formal he sounded. I dropped my hands to the side as a weird feeling of guilt rushed through me. If this is what my best friend is feeling then how did my dad feel? Am I hurting everyone? I felt J wrap his arm around my shoulder and squeeze me a bit. "It's alright. It's not your fault" he said gesturing for me to smile. I nodded letting myself believe his words.

I walked to my room and opened it for my mate to enter which he did with a scowl. I was about to join him when J grabbed my wrist and stopped me. "You will tell me if he hurts you" he said in a serious tone. "He won't". He just gave me a 'really' look so I nodded wrapping my arms around him for a quick hug. 

I saw my mate looking around my room as I closed the door behind me. I know J is going to be standing outside and that didn't help at all. I don't know how long he's gonna control himself from bursting out. I cleared my throat getting his attention. "You can take a shower, I'll get you some of J's cloths for now."

"I'm not wearing that mutt's cloths" he scoffed. I took a threatening step forward letting a small growl leave me. "I don't fucking care if you insult me, but do NOT insult my family". My wolf whined and begged for me to stop but I just pushed her out of my mind. I'm his mate and I have a reason to tolerate his behavior towards me, but I'm not letting anything other than that. The scowl on his face deepened as he stomped his way to my bathroom slamming the door a little too harshly.

I plopped on my bed dropping my head in my hands when I heard the shower run. This is more complicated than I thought. I fought with my dad for him and here he is, hurting me without even thinking. Everything I ever thought, believed and saw about mates are totally different from this. Maybe he's just mad that we locked him up in there. At this point I didn't even know who I was trying to convince.

"I asked Ethan to buy him some new clothes. Don't worry, he'll be there in a few" J linked me. I sniffled, smiling to myself.

At least I have my best friend.

~~~~~~

Sorry for the short chapter but it felt like a good place to end this chapter. Hope you guys enjoyed this. Please don't forget to vote and drop some comments. I love you all and THANKS FOR 426 READS!!!! It might not seem like much but for me it means more than anything. 

Word Count : 1721