Chapter - 29

Happy reading 🌻

Josh 🤎

              I was just coming back from yet another meeting with my former Alpha when I saw my best friend walk past me like a robot. Even after I called for her. I had to stand in front of her to get her attention but somehow I couldn't grasp her interest. She was quiet and it made me nervous. Angry Evie I could manage, but silent Evie? She scared me. The last time, she went on a rampage when she was quiet. I shuddered at the thought of my bestfriend covered in blood with a look that almost made me shit my pants. 

Even though she said that her mate didn't do anything, I had a feeling that he indeed did something. With an irritated rumble in my throat, I walked to Evie's room. Jasmin flashed a smile at me as I crossed her. "You can go Jas" I dismissed her as she gave me a nod and departed. 

I strolled in and saw him sitting on the couch with a picture frame in his hand. I realized it was a picture I gifted Evie on her birthday, the one where she was sitting on the back of my wolf. I didn't know how he felt looking at that, his face was unreadable. Without a word, I dropped next to him startling him a little. I felt him drilling holes through the side of my head first before hearing him ask, "What are you doing?"

I sighed running a hand through my hair. " I came here to talk to you" I said glancing up at him. I saw a flash of concern pass through his eyes before he masked it again. "Did she say something?" he asked after a minute of just staring at me. "No she didn't."

He rose a brow in question. "I just saw Evie walk out like a zombie and I know you had something to do with that". He scoffed audibly and next second stomped to the window with blinding speed. I followed him and glared at him. "Look I don't like you and I most definitely think that you don't deserve my Evie-"

"Your Evie?" he roared grabbing the collar of my shirt. I balled my fist grinding my teeth hard, trying so damn hard to not punch his freaking face. I shrugged his hand off with a scowl. "What? You treat her like shit and get fucking jealous once I call her my Evie? Do you even hear yourself?" I barked out. He looked away from me and glanced down the window. I followed his gaze and saw Evelyn talking with a guy. I saw his eyes soften at the sight of her.

I took a deep breath composing myself. "As I was saying, I care a lot about Evelyn. Not just as her gamma but as her brother too" I spoke softly. No matter what, wolves are possessive of their mates, that I know. I did not came here to fight with him. His clenched jaw loosened but he was still looking down at his mate. I crossed my arms over my chest and started, "Evie and I, we grew up together. We played together, trained together did almost everything together. I've seen her go through so much. She's the toughest girl I know" I chuckled lightly feeling so warm inside just by talking about her. He turned to me with expecting eyes demanding to continue. 

"Three years ago, she was kidnapped" my throat tightened but my alpha's mate's eyes widened in shock and then silted, his lips pressed in a thin line, "Go on" he gritted. I kinda liked the fact that he got mad at that. I could tell that he cared for her. "I won't tell you the full story because it's not mine to tell and even if I wanted to do so, I don't know the truth myself. Three years back some wolves kidnapped her. It took us exactly 13 days to find her. She never told any of us what happened all those days, when we asked all she said was '13 days of torture'. That's all she was willing to say and asked for us to never talk about it anymore. We found her in the border of the human city in an abandoned building. For three days after her rescue, she refused to talk to anyone. Fourth day, she was gone again. We all panicked and searched for hours. She came back by herself, looking like she was bathed in blood. Her violet eyes were too bright than normal, and that's how we knew she went feral. Only after hunting till her bloodlust calmed she talked to us. We were scared for her at first but whatever happened in that building made her so fucking strong." The respect that I felt for my Alpha was crystal clear in my voice.