Poison

A/N: Sorry for not updating sooner, I've been working on a second book that I will be publishing right after Define Desire ends. xD Ready? Good. Now, read on!

-Blakeley

~-~

"What do you mean he's poisoned?!" I burst.

"I mean, he's poisoned. Something must have been injected in him when he was taken."

I sigh, rubbing a hand down my face.

"How bad is it?"

"Pretty bad."

"Fantastic." I say sarcastically.

Apparently something was injected inside Abe when he was taken the night of the ball. With what, we don't know. All we know is that it's bad and it's affecting him - a lot. The man can barely move!

At first we thought he was just tired when his eyes started drooping and he could barely talk, but unfortunately for us, we were wrong. And besides, what vampire gets so tired his eyes start drooping?

"So now what?" I ask exasperated. It's been twenty-four hours since Amos was killed, and I've recovered quite drastically - not. Although I'm deeply sad from the loss of Becca, the stress of everything and now Abe being poisoned has taken my mind off everything except for the task at hand.

"We've called someone. She's a healer, a good one. She'll be able to help him, don't worry." Aria reply's, looking confident.

I nod my head, slowly starting to feel better about the situation and letting my eyes wander over to the sleeping Abe. His face is pale (naturally) and he sleeps like the dead.

Literally.

"You need rest, Nicole. You need not worry. Marla will be here in no time and I bet you by the time you awaken, he'll be on his feet and all better." Aria assures but I can't bring myself to believe her. No matter how convincing she is, my worry for Abe is stronger.

"I can't."

"Yes you ca--"

"No," I say, shaking my head. "I literally can't. Not when he's like this. Don't get me wrong, I'm exhausted. But my mind won't rest until he's better. I just can't."

Aria sighs but nods her head reluctantly.

"Alright, I understand. But just try. For me? Just until Marla arrives."

I contemplate it for a moment before nodding, deciding It's best to try even if the odds of it happening are hopeless.

~-~

Hopeless, as expected.

It's been three hours and nothing has happened. I lay in my bed, eyes trained on the ceiling and fingers twitching every other minute.

I can't do this.

I shake my head, sighing loudly and slowly pulling myself from the comfortable sheets.

My feet shuffle softly against the floors carpet and I open the door, following the hall to the stairs and than heading strait for Abe's room.

"How's he doing?" I ask as I enter the large room.

Hugo set's lazily in a large chair, sipping a glass of red liquid (no doubt blood) and reading a newspaper with squinted eyes. I grimace at the sight of his drink but he seems to not notice, slurping it up before turning to look at me.