Wattpad Original
There are 60 more free parts

exhaustion

noun ~ a state of extreme physical or mental fatigue

I eventually fell back asleep last night, in the warm embrace of Phoenix as he stroked my hair. I was always a sucker for head massages, and it lulled me right back to sleep knowing I was safe and it was over. But when I woke the next morning, I wanted to go home. I felt out of place and wanted nothing more than the comfort of my own things.

I didn't have a lot to pack, neither did Phoenix, so it was fairly simple. We were meant to stay until tomorrow but Phoenix had simply explained that I was not feeling well and blamed it on the attack. I did catch the way the King's nostrils flared ever so slightly, and despite being the King, I gave him my best cross-armed glare. He soon turned sheepish and wished us well before leaving us be.

As of right now, we were heading out of our bedroom, the three of us dressed in casual clothing for the journey. Charlie smirked at us when he approached, noticing the three of us all wore black shirts, but otherwise said nothing as we made our way down the hall to where the King was waiting to bid us goodbye officially.

When we approached the hallway, I noticed the King easily but a glimmer of movement from the right caught my attention. Just before she disappeared, I saw the swish of material and the Queen's braided hair dart around the corner. I frowned, wondering why she had disappeared; it just added to my suspicions.

"Ah, there you are. I was wondering if you had already left without saying goodbye." Alexandar smiled, turning to us as we entered the hallway.

"We couldn't be so lucky." Phoenix teased.

Alexandar's eyes lightened with laughter as they shook hands. "Well, despite the circumstances it has been nice to see you again cousin."

"You too, Alexandar." Phoenix nodded, releasing his hand.

"And you Nova, nice to see you again. Thank you, sincerely, for rounding the men up yesterday, I don't know how you did it." He chuckled.

Please, Cel scoffed. He could've just commanded them.

True there. I hummed.

"No need to thank me, they were just..." I began, frowning.

"Irritating?" He mused.

I nodded slightly and he laughed again.

"Male bravado, it's no wonder we don't schedule meetings like that so often anymore. That's why the Kingdom has the three packs beneath it; to check on the others so we don't have to go back to the annual meetings." He chimed before turning back to my mate. "Anyway, you have a long journey ahead. I will personally contact you if anything else comes up about the infiltration."

"Same goes here." Phoenix nodded, glancing at Charlie.

"Yes. We will see what we can dig up." Charlie added.

The King nodded his head with gratitude as he shook his hand. "Thank you. I hope to see you again, in better circumstances. And Phoenix, once again, thank you for what you have done."

"We need change." He shrugged before settling his gaze back on his cousin. "Make it happen."

Alexandar swallowed at the slight threat, still clearly intimidated by him. "I will... See you guys one day soon."

The three of us bowed before Phoenix took my hand and lead me outside. I decided I wanted to sit in the back, despite Charlie's call of shotgun, so I could lay down. I was feeling exhausted, the lack of energy to even bother with conversation was too consuming. I think the fight, the injury, the late nights and the dreamy vision... all caught up to me.