Wattpad Original
There are 41 more free parts

ancestry

noun ~ one's family or ethnic descent

I blinked, the room falling silent as I stared into her strange eye. This was not the first time I have been called by my wolf by someone who didn't know me. In fact, it was becoming a regular thing.

Cel? I wondered.

I feel like I know her... She all but shrugged.

I licked my lips nervously, looking to Aldren who gave nothing away.

"Oh, you must not remember me. It was a few lifetimes ago now." She all but laughed.

Lifetimes?

"I'm sorry, lifetimes?" I asked, confused.

She removed her hands from my body, a chill breaking out on my skin. She walked around the counter, bending down to search for something. Despite her lack of sight, she navigated well around her little store.

"Yes, lovely, I know your wolf rather well." She smiled, pulling an old book from under the counter.

The book was encased in leather, the smell of dust hitting my nose as she brushed her hand over the cover. She sighed before pulling it open, fingers tracing the edges of the pages until she paused at one. She pulled the pages to the side and I stepped closer in curiosity. Despite the yellowing of the page and the smudging of the ink, there was one word at the top of the page that stood out to me the most.

Celimene.

"I don't understand," I mumbled, looking between the two of them.

Pollux, you better get in here. I called to him.

On way.

Arden had his arms folded in front of him, a frown on his face. "Angela, you're not making much sense."

She tutted, waving her hand in the air. "I will be in a moment children."

We both frowned this time but she did nothing but sit in her chair and spin the book around. Her face lifted to me, staring right where I am as her frail finger pointed to the name on the page.

"This book dates back to five hundred years ago." She began. "It is one of the oldest books I have."

"What is it for?" I spoke softly, gazing down at the hard to read penmanship.

I still wasn't so great with new fonts, having only little exposure to different texts and reading styles meant the cursive was way too confusing.

"It is a checking book." She smiled. "When I first opened this shop, it was not in this village. It was further down the mountain, in your home."

I paused, studying her and the book in waiting. The door opened and the old woman, Angela, barely looked up as Charlie and Pollux came to stand beside me.

"Ah, the twin..." She mumbled.

"Pollux." He nodded.

"Dion." She chimed.

He froze, looking at me with the same confused, and awed expression that I had. We waited, and she laughed before she spoke.

"This book is nothing really, nothing but a signature of receipt of something. Celimene was your grandmother's name." She explained and my eyes widened with surprise. "When I had my sight, I had a gut instinct that caused me to flee to the mountains. There I met your grandmother. She was young, barely sixteen and hardly clothed. She had no idea where she was, or what was going on, other than a message from the Moon Goddess.

"I took her into my home, glad both of my sights lead me to her. She stayed with me for a while until she was better, and that was when I saw her turn into a large beast. She stood on two legs, fur encased her body and her face grew a snout and ears. Her fur was pitch black, eyes as green as fresh grass." She paused, shuddering. "I was terrified, never such a creature was created. As she shifted, she had remembered her reasoning for being here. That she was created to find something, whatever that was. I travelled with her for many years, her instinct was guiding her. We were close friends."