Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

surprise

noun ~ an unexpected or astonishing event, fact, or thing

The first thing I discovered when I entered the room, is how unprepared I was.

I had barely set foot through the threshold of the dining room before I was pulled into way too many arms to count. I was hit with multiple familiar scents, the strongest source being that of my brother Leo. I laughed at them, my arms squished between Molly and Leo. Charlie and Sean were somewhere in this strange embrace, but I couldn't make out who was who whilst stuck in Leo's armpit.

"Guys! Guys, come on." I groaned when they squeezed.

"Okay, okay, let her breathe." Phoenix's deep chuckle came from behind me.

Charlie let out a sound of disagreement, whilst Molly and Leo pulled away. I laughed at him, raising one arm to pat him on the back.

"Charlie, there's enough of me to share." I teased.

He snorted, pulling away from me to cup my cheeks. "I know, you're just so squishable."

I frowned at him, but he merely laughed, pulling away to go and stand beside Calida. She was stood off to the side beside Rose, both of them giving me small smiles in greeting. It was nice seeing them down here, Calida had obviously grown some confidence, accepting Charlie's company as he stood so close to her. Rose was also more confident, not so much of a whispered voice in the loudness of the house anymore.

"Go sit, I'll make you something." Phoenix murmured, kissing my temple.

He must've seen the brief panic on my face because he paused, lowering his head back down to my ear.

"Go sit beside your brother, you're okay, remember?" He murmured.

I swallowed but nodding, accepting another small kiss before he left the room. The familiar faces of my family all gathered around one circle table and I nervously made my way over to my twin. He gave me a broad grin, wrapping his arm around my shoulders in a side-ways hug.

"Hey, Nova." He smiled. "Nice to see you down here."

"Hey," I breathed. "I'm glad you're okay."

He rolled his eyes. "Well, you did bloody pin me down to take your blood."

I laughed lightly, shrugging. "I couldn't leave you to bleed to death."

He smirked at me, his arm falling from my shoulder to grab the mug of coffee on the table. Pollux never usually drank coffee, so I guessed he was suffering with bad nights too.

"So, Nova."

I narrowed my eyes, turning to my Beta. His shoulders squared at my expression, his hands clasped in front of him. He was sat opposite me at the table. Beside him was Calida, Rose, Sean, an empty seat, then me. On his other side was Leo, Molly, and finally Pollux.

I raised my eyebrow at Charlie's words. "Yes?"

"Uh, how are things?"

"Things?" I wondered.

"Yeah."

"Things."

"Yeah, didn't I just say that?" He mumbled, looking at his mate with a scowl.

I giggled. "Things are okay. Things are hanging on."

His eyes softened. "Good."

I could see the question on the tip of his tongue, in fact nearly everyone on the table had the awkward aura of questions. Only one thing I could think of would get such a reaction, and as soon as I made eye contact with my tired-looking best friend, I knew she wouldn't hold on much longer.