Wattpad Original
There are 9 more free parts

emotions

noun ~ a natural, instinctive state of mind deriving from one's mood, circumstances,or relationships

I came to my senses drowned in a cocoon of warmth. It cushioned my body with something soft, a striking contrast to the past two or so weeks stuck in the cell. I shifted slightly, the smooths sheets gliding beneath me.

Instead of the usual mind-numbing coldness and constant stomach-ache and headache, I was warm and cosy. My body has never felt so relaxed and pain free.

A steady buzz of electronics was the next thing I noticed; a smooth buzzing accompanied by a regular, faint beeping. My nose twitched, seeking my environment before I alerted someone nearby. It smelt sterile, but I was confused. Where was I and how did I get here?

Celimene? I called. Are you there?

A humming sounded in my mind, a low rumble as she woke from our deep sleep.

'Yes, Nova.' She whispered.

How are you feeling?

'Tired, but much better.'

Good, I breathed. Thank you, Celimene.

She grumbled gently. 'I should thank you for saving us.'

You are the one who gave your energy to me. You came back to me.

'Always, Nova. You are my soul, as I am yours.'

We fell into silence, and I breathed deeply, the sterile air burning my nose. I had slept soundless and dream-free, which was a pleasant change.

But then I was concerned. The last thing I remember is being dressed. Did we even win? Was I back in the laboratory having my blood taken?

The sudden thought had me shooting up in the bed, eyes wide and alert as I took in my surroundings. Dead ahead of me were two pairs of light blue curtains covering a small window. Lower was the end of the bed I lay on, white and blue sheets covering my feet. A notepad was discarded at the foot of it, scrawled handwriting on the top page, its counterpart pen thrown on the floor.

Looking further, I found white walls, ceilings and flooring, a small chill in the air as the blankets fell to my waist. My heart was racing as I realised I was in a hospital, the faint beeping turning into a more rapid rhythm.

Something moved from the corner of my eye and I jumped in surprise when a electrifying zap touched my shoulder. Turning with surprise, I looked to the culprit with wide eyes.

The first thing I saw through blurred eyes were the deep pools of black eyes. My body was tense. I stayed frozen under his gaze. His eyes were equally wide as mine, both of us frozen silent. Was this real? Was I dreaming?

I licked my lips nervously, my throat dry. His eyes dropped to my mouth, and he blinked slowly, body still working behind his mind. He shook his head, lifting his hand again to touch me. I stayed still, watching him patiently. His rough skin touching the bare skin of my forearm caused the tingles to return.

He kept his gaze on mine, cautiously wrapping his fingers around my wrist. I watched as he swallowed, the Adam's apple in his throat bobbing with the movement. My body hummed, my heart racing for a different reason.

"Phoenix?" I croaked, my voice a horse whisper.

He nodded slowly, and I didn't wait a moment further for more confirmation. The buzzing of energy between us had been confirmation enough, although the darkness of his eyes and the room I was in had thrown me off.

I scrambled across the bedsheets, my chest colliding with his own. He caught me, a whoosh of air escaping his mouth as his arms wrapped around me. He hesitated for a moment as I settled my head into his throat, his hands moving the wires in my arms around. I smiled in satisfaction when his grip on me tightened, hands wrapping around my ribcage as he pulled me closer. His head fell into my neck, breathing in my scent deeply.