Wattpad Original
There are 40 more free parts

past

noun ~ gone by in time and no longer existing

The next few days were simple. I spent my time wandering the grounds, discovering all the pretty gardens that they had to offer. I could feel the air get cooler as the days went by, the lack of rain making it heavier on my chest.

After the day spent in the town, I had learned a lot about my parent's upbringing. Only the good things of course, of how my father was the eldest of two, and mother was of course the youngest. My father was apparently a lovesick, childish humoured man, and my mother, a gentle, stubborn soul. My heart warmed at the stories I was told of them as teenagers, of how my father chased my mother for all that he had until the day she was taken for blood. He had apparently gone crazy and hunted her down, killing the human's that took her.

She had told me of my mother's first turning when she was five years old. I shuddered at the thought of a child so young going through such a change, but apparently, it was relatively pain-free. My parents being the same age meant they went through hurdles together, saw the sights together and celebrated together. I kind of hoped that Phoenix and I could do the same.

"Aldren..." I asked.

He looked up from the green book he was reading. We had taken it upon ourselves to practice my vision skills in the library as that is where all the books regarding gifts were stored. The book in his hand was created by our very own grandmother and held most of the information about our inherited gift.

"Yes?" He wondered, raising an eyebrow.

"How old is the oldest werewolf?" I asked.

He frowned. "I'm not sure. I believe King Edward was one of the oldest, his father being one of the first turned wolves. If I remember correctly, he would have been around two hundred."

"You say, one of the first like there is more turned at the same time?" I asked.

He nodded. "We tend to refer to first turned as the first wolf each female turned. Your grandmother Abelia Hala, she turned the King's line. Hala are most connected to the moon and he became the strongest of the first three turned."

I remember that Hala relates to the moon's halo.

"So Hala is the moon, Cyrus is the sun and Terra is the earth, right? Who did your line turn? Are they still alive?" I asked warily.

He shook his head. "My grandmother turned a female and she lived until two hundred before she passed of natural causes. I think it was just her time, she was a nice lady."

"I see..." I mumbled.

So far I have learnt that only female Lycan can turn a wolf, and they have to be mated because the first bite of a Lycan is sacred for their mate...? Also that the Cyrus' original turned her first wolf when she was around three hundred years old. It was a long time, but the short life span of werewolves did not settle well in my mind.

My heart ached, wondering if I would live longer than Phoenix. I didn't want that to happen, I couldn't imagine living without him.

"What makes you ask?" He sighed, seeing the expression on my face.

I was never good at hiding my emotions.

"Phoenix..." I began, drifting off as I struggled for words. "If I live for hundreds of years and he doesn't... It's not fair. Why do we get to live so long?"

He frowned. "Their bodies are created strong, they are born strong. It's only a matter of time before their strength weakens. We, biologically, are weak and by nature, we tend to isolate ourselves. It's  our instinct, deep within us, to protect our weakness and not go seeking out danger." He frowned. "Did you ever wonder why you did not like hunting so much?"