Wattpad Original
There are 18 more free parts

BONUS ~ location

noun ~ a particular place or position

PHOENIX

The snow grew heavier as we climbed up the mountain. With anger in my head and hope in my heart, I encourage the group behind me to keep going. My breath fogged up the cold air as I watched them all plough through the snow.

I was glad I had a coat of fur covering me, protecting me from the elements. It was below freezing and I felt sorry for any animal that got trapped so far north.

We were walking through a valley, following a frozen stream across the lands. What most likely used to be grand and full of colour had become blanketed with snow.

I sneaked a glance at Charlie, making sure he was okay. He had shifted this morning, but he was still weak. I told him he did not have to come, that he should rest his wolf, but he was insistent on finding Nova.

'You okay?' I breathed through the link.

His wolf's head nudged my hind leg, a snort escaping his snout. 'Yes, keep going.'

'You sure you don't want to rest?'

He barked at me, mouth hanging open to show his gleaming teeth. 'Yes, I am fine. Nova has made you soft.'

'Shush.'

I grumbled at him, stepping over a particularly large log. He heaved himself over, falling onto his chest on the other side. I snorted a laugh just as Pollux jumped over to nudge his side, pulling his fur with his teeth. Charlie growled at him, shaking him off to stand on his feet.

He shook the fresh snow from his fur, giving us a pointed look. 'In the past, you used to force me, no matter how much I wanted to give in. Now, at the smallest of things like the weather, and you are asking me if I want to rest?'

'And?'

He scratched at his snout, clearing the snow from his chin. 'Just saying.'

I huffed and continued to lead the way, the warrior wolves behind falling back into formation. I walked a little further, my mind reeling over what he had said. It was true; I was a lot harsher back then. Suppose I had turned soft, then what?

Grumbling, I shook my head. I felt antsy, and little things like that did not help my need to find Nova. I barked once, bunching my legs up to sprint off. We had been walking a while to preserve our energy for the upcoming fight, but I needed to run. I needed to distract myself.

Pounding footsteps filled the air, the snow making it harder to hurry. Our speed was drastically reduced, but we still ran. We climbed rock faces, dodged fallen trees and slipped on ice. We didn't stop. Our resilience and desire to rescue Nova was the most important thing right now.

I clung onto that spark, that vessel deep inside me, and let it carry me there.

My child.

I still couldn't believe it. Perhaps it was a mistake, and I was just feeling Nova? I couldn't be sure, but something deep within me knew it was my pup. It was young and blossoming, so much like Nova, yet so much of me. My heart twinged with nerves as I thought about what could happen. But it relieved me. Relieved that I had a lead, and that with this blimp on my radar, meant she was alive.

I would know for sure that she carried my pup when I smelt her. She was early enough that a normal wolf would not scent it; being an Alpha wolf had its benefits. I just hoped that she was somewhere where she was warm, fed and looked after. But something deep inside me told me it would not be so simple.

I was just glad that we had this lead, otherwise, we could be searching for days. I couldn't leave Nova in danger for any longer. Seeking blind got me no-where and falling victim to my rage would not benefit the scouting at all. I had to hold back my rage now.