Wattpad Original
There are 59 more free parts

chase

verb ~ pursue in order to catch or catch up with

I had chosen to shower, to rid myself of the nightmares and stress of the past few days. The hot water relaxed my shoulders but I still felt tense as I got myself dried and dressed into some new clothes. I sighed once I was in my favourite pair of leggings and jumper, clean from head to toe, I pulled the sleeves over my hands in comfort.

True to his word, Phoenix appeared not long after I sat back down in bed. He came in, a neutral smile on his face as he shut the door softly behind him. I watched him walk towards me silently, a black t-shirt and black slim-fitting jeans were today's attire. As relaxed as Phoenix has been in a while, clothing-wise.

"You okay, my love?" He wondered, sitting in front of me on the bed.

I inhaled a deep breath, shrugging my shoulders. "I'm not sure. I'm...confused."

"How so?" He frowned, cocking his head. "Your nightmare?"

I nodded. "It was another vision."

"Of what?" He asked, shifting closer to me to take my clothed covered hand.

I chuckled a little at the fact he was holding the cuffs of my top and looked up into his eyes. "I saw my mother again, as she died. But this time... everything was different. There was so much more to it."

He frowned. "Like what?"

"I can show you?" I wondered, hesitantly.

He nodded, eagerly. "If you think it will help me understand."

"There's a lot to unpack," I admitted, before connecting our minds.

I ran him through the scenes of the vision I had, my memory had imprinted every piece of it possible. He tensed and closed his eyes as the memory hit him. His hand squeezed mine as Gaia spoke, a flinch when the tree fell on my mother, and then a growl when Gaia disappeared through the portal. When it finished, he pulled away without a word, opening his eyes to look directly into mine.

"That is a lot different." He stated.

I smiled at him, finding humour in his bluntness. "It shows a lot. My Mother, for a start, spoke with Gaia and asked her to take care of us, but Gaia said she could not interfere with my life. That Fate would not be happy... When Raven visited me earlier, she spoke of Fate as though he was a God; that he controlled things and to go against his way could end up with serious repercussions."

Phoenix's lips pursed for a moment before he nodded. "Fate is rumoured to be a God, rather than an ideal. Many people believe in different Gods, all in control of their own thing."

"What do you believe?" I wondered.

He sighed. "I believe in the Moon Goddess, giving us our lives and our mates. And I believe in the God of death. Whatever is in the middle, I shall let lie."

I observed him in his nonchalant honestly, my eyes following every quirk of his eyebrow and lips, the crinkle of his nose as he finished his sentence. When he noticed I had not answered, his long-lashed eyes looked back to mine, confusion clear in the honey-coloured jewels.

"Nova?" He asked, a smirk slowly creeping on his face.

I blinked, shaking my head as I blushed. "Sorry, I just..."

"Staring at me like fresh meat?" He teased and laughed. "I asked you, what this had to do with your dream. What did Raven want?"

Our minds still open, images of her in our room flashed through the link as I recalled our conversation. "I don't know really... I had honestly thought Raven was good, that when Steven died she would be free from whatever past she has. She's with her Mum now and I thought she was happy..."