3. Trust Me

Art by @wanderlustlily on Tumblr

Dream POV

Y/N moves dangerously close to me so I back up all the way against the wall. This leaves me with significantly less length of chain but still enough for me to move. She moves closer until she's leaning over me with her hands on either side of me, her knees on either side of my thighs.

"That's what makes us alike," she whispers.

"What does that mean?"

"We both have manipulated people for good reasons. You manipulated people to unite the server. I manipulated Sam to get you better treatment. It's bad actions for a good reason. It doesn't make us the heroes or the villains though."

I stare into her Y/E/C eyes.

She's right, I'm not the hero but I'm not the villain. I'm not evil, I'm not good. What am I?

She finally lifts off me and sits back down about a foot away. I breathe a sigh of relief.

"Dream," she says my name so softly that it runs shivers down my spine. "Come here," she taps the spot in front of her.

I shake my head.

No.

"Dream, I'm not forcing you, I'm asking you."

I shake my head again. No way was I playing into a guard's trap.

"Dream," her hand slides out towards me.

I sit there just watching her, waiting for her next move.

After a bit, I tentatively slide a few inches closer.
Another few inches, until I'm in the exact spot she wants me.

She reaches out and pulls me against her chest. My face hits her netherite chest plate and I gasp against her. Her arms immediately go around me, keeping me in place and I try to fight out of her grasp. My hands feel so useless, chained together behind my back and my ankles are attached with a small length of chain in between them.

"Let, go, of, me," I gasp out, struggling in her arms.

"No." I can hear her smiling.

"What are you doing?"

"You'll see."

She pulls me with her so now her back is against one of the side walls of the prison cell next to the lava. I'm now on her lap and her legs are curled to the side. I'm still pressed against her chest and I've given up fighting because I feel weak from not eating properly.

I rest my head on her shoulder and she rubs soothing patterns on my back. She waits until my breathing returns to normal. After, she pulls me away from her slightly, resting one hand on my shoulder while the other is on my back.

"See that wasn't so bad right?"

I hum a weak response and close my eyes.

"Dream," she says softly into my ear. "Don't you want to eat?"

I sit up at her words and she laughs at my reaction.

"I'll take that as a yes."

I nod. "Please." I can hear the desperation in my voice.

She lets me rest against her chest while she pulls out a wooden bowl, 4 potatoes, a small knife, a spoon, and a salt shaker.

I eye the knife carefully as she skins the potatoes, dropping the peels into the lava. She places the 4 potatoes in the bowl and cuts them into slices before taking the spoon and mashing them. She mashes them for a bit and I just watch her. After a few minutes, the potatoes are mush and she adds exactly 1 spoonful of salt to the potato mash before mixing it all together.

The knife and salt shaker go away and she sets the bowl down on the floor as she shifts my position.

Now I'm sitting sideways on her lap with my head and back being supported by her left arm and my legs are on her right. My hands are behind me still but she manages to make me comfortable. Y/N sets the bowl next to me and scoops a spoonful of the mashed potatoes.

I turn away refusing it.

What if she poisoned the salt?

"You're so ungrateful," she says with a smirk. "Thought you were hungry."

"I am," I insist. "I'm just worried you poisoned it."

She smiles. "You watched me make it."

"You still could have poisoned the salt," I say accusingly.

Y/N sighs and takes out the knife. I flinch but she puts a bit of the mashed potatoes on the blade and slides it into her mouth. She smirks at me and I stare at her for a bit.

"Alright," I finally say convinced that she wouldn't eat the food if she poisoned it.

She spoon-feeds some into my mouth.

The saltiness touches my tongue and I feel my head lean back in pleasure. It's the most flavorful thing I've tasted in months.

"It's can't be that good," Y/N says spooning another bite. "It's literally just salt."

"For me, it is," I say happily swallowing spoonful after spoonful. "It at least has some flavor compared to the raw potatoes."

After I finish eating, she leans back against the obsidian wall with the lava on her right. She pulls me against her and I lean my chin at the base of her neck. Her hands move up and stroke my hair and face gently. They move down to touch my shackled wrists.

"What do you want?" she asks softly. "Anything you could have in here?"

I think for a while.

What do I want in here? A bed? Pillows and blankets? Better clothing? To see the sun? A way out of here?

"I don't want to tell you right now."

"Why?" Her smile falters.

"Because," I pause.

"Because why?"

"Because I still don't trust you."

Y/N sighs and leans her head into my hair, I can feel her smile.

"Dream, trust me. I'm only trying to help you."

"I'll try."

We stay there hugging for a bit before she pulls away and says she has to go. I lie back down in the middle by the chains and stare at the lava, waiting for it to drop again.

Maybe she can be my friend in here. She isn't afraid to manipulate people but that means she can't be easily manipulated. If I try to use her, what will she do to me? Everyone I've trusted has betrayed me, as a guard, she could betray me too.

——————————————————————————————

1,084 words

Dream is getting some ideas...

Comment any mistakes you find so I can fix them!