23. The Assassin and I

Art by @snoweapl on Twitter

Dream POV

I stay tied to the tree for what seems like ages. I hear explosions going off but I can't see what's causing them.

Then I hear footsteps, light but audible.
I freeze and turn my head slowly to look.
A dark shadow creeps along the forest floor and reaches my tree.

A throwing disc slices through the air and cuts the rope in one go.

I fall to the ground and they catch me.

I turn around and see the black mask. Nightmare.

She puts a finger to my lips and ties the rope around my wrists. Then I'm pulled towards the water where a small boat is docked.

Nightmare pushes me into the boat and gets in the other seat. She begins to row away and I close my eyes, falling asleep to the rocking of the boat.

I wake to being shaken by someone.

"What?" I mumble.

I look up and see the black mask of Nightmare. I open my mouth to say something but she covers it again.

We're on a small island, in the middle of the ocean. Nightmare pulls me onto the island and lays me down. She sits beside me, sword across her lap.

The sky twinkles with bright stars.

So we're going to continue moving in the morning.

I close my eyes and try to fall asleep but I can't.

Can I trust Nightmare? She saved me but it doesn't seem like she wants to let me go. And where's Y/N? I didn't see her in the battle. Is she going to find me?

Somehow, I fall asleep under the stars, breathing in the scent of the soft grass.

The next morning when I wake up, Nightmare is already awake, sitting by the water's edge, spearing fish with a trident.

"Morning," I say softly, not wanting to make her mad at me.

She passes a cooked fish to me and continues staring at the water.

I eat quickly and once I'm done, she goes over and burns the boat.

"What—" I start but I'm cut off by her grabbing me.

She wraps my bound arms around her neck until I'm resting on her back. She wades into the water and pulls out the trident.

"You better stay on," she says and without any more warning, takes off.

I gasp and lock my arms tighter around her as we move swiftly through the water. I avoid talking so I don't swallow too much water. After a few minutes of traveling, we land on the shore of a forest.

I pull away and catch my breath but Nightmare turns around and hits my head with the handle of the trident causing me to lose consciousness.

I slowly open my eyes and find darkness. The feel the cool, hard ground beneath me.
Obsidian.
The prison.
This flies me into a state of panic.

Was it all a dream?
Did I not escape?

I feel my wrists, no chains.
It's pitch black and as my eyes adjust, it's a small room made of obsidian with one dark gray door. 

I'm about to go to the door when I see the shadows move.

Nightmare slowly moves out of the shadows towards me.

I back up as she advances.

My back hits the wall and she catches up to me, her hand grabs my neck and squeezes it ever so slightly.

"Please," I beg, getting flashbacks to my time in prison. "Stop."

She leans closer to me so the mask is nearly touching my forehead.

"Take it off," she commands in the menacing voice.

"What?" I blink always some tears of pain.

"Take it off."

My fingers fumble and find their way to the rim of the mask. I reach inside the hood and find the mask straps. I undo the straps and the mask falls away, I push the hood back at the same time. The mask falls to the floor with a clatter and I stare in shock.

"N-no," I shiver as I stare in shock at the face I've seen every day for almost a year. "Y/N?" I breathe.

"Hello Dream," she says casually. Her voice sounding nothing like what it just did a few seconds ago. "I told you that your wish would  come true very soon."

I collapse with relief and she catches me, her hand moving from my throat to my back, bringing me slowly to the floor.

"Shhh, I know. It's a lot to take in. Get some rest and I'll explain it to you when you're stronger."

I nod and close my eyes, once again collapsing into the arms of the only girl I care for.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Dream," I'm shaken awake again, this time gently.

I jolt awake and find Y/N touching my jaw gently.

"Y/N," I reach my hand out to touch her face but she catches it and presses it against her lips. Her breath warms my fingertips and I smile.

"Dream."

I missed the way she said my name.

"I have to get something done, you need to stay here."

"What?" I blink in confusion as she starts to stand up and walk to the door.

"No! Wait!" I lunge out to grab her. "Please don't leave me here alone!"

Y/N holds my wrists and looks into my eyes.

"I need to go back and spy on what's going on in the Smp. I'll be back in a few hours, don't worry. Just stay put for now."

I nod and swallow nervously.

"Be careful," I say as she opens the door and starts to walk out.

"I'll try," she smirks before closing the door. I hear the click of the lock, and her footsteps fade away.

I fall to the ground in the middle of the room. I pull my knees against my chest and cry myself to sleep.

Please be careful Y/N. Don't leave me again.

——————————————————————————————

1,021 words

Now you and Dream's story begins.
Nightmare and Dream.
Will you be the villains or the heroes?

Comment any mistakes you find so I can fix them!

𝒟𝓇𝑒𝒶𝓂𝓈 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝒩𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉𝓂𝒶𝓇𝑒𝓈 - Dream x Readerजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें