13. Seasons of Change

Dream POV

October 23,

The time goes by slowly. Every day is the same.

Y/N comes to check on me, feed me, and talk. I never see anyone else and even my trips to the showers become boring. I want to get out of here.

I've already started planning.

Next time Y/N lets me out into the courtyard, I'll ask to spar again. Knock her out, steal her armor and run away. Seems simple but not as easy to pull off.

She's my only way out since no one else is allowed to visit the prison. But she's strong and fast, and I just have this feeling of not wanting to betray her.

What is wrong with me?

I have a list of enemies to kill, plans to torture people, and get revenge. I have nothing left to care for so I might as well bring it all down with me.

I sit there, writing my plans until I hear the bridge moving and the lava falling. Y/N comes towards me on the bridge and I smile at her, she returns the smile and moves closer.

"I want to get some fresh air in the courtyard, you feel like coming? All the rest of the guards are out, including Sam so it's just us two."

I perk up at her words. This could be my chance.

"Yeah, I would love to," is all I say.

After escorting me out of my cell and down the hallways, she makes me put on a dark brown coat.

"What's this for?" I ask.

"It's pretty chilly out, considering it's October."

"Oh right," I feel stupid. "Of course."

We step outside and I inhale the fresh air and take in the scenery. The trees have turned red, orange, yellow, and brown. Their leaves fall to the ground creating a beautiful carpet of leaves. The sky is cloudy and the crisp wind blows rustling the trees.

I feel my chains unlock and I fall to my knees in the leaves. I grab a handful and throw them above me. Letting the shower of colors fall on my face, landing in my hair.

I notice Y/N watching me with an amused expression.

"What?"

"Just watching you enjoy Autumn," she laughs and pulls a few leaves out of my dirty blonde hair.

I fall onto the ground and roll around in the leaves, the scent of earth fills my nose.

A gust of wind suddenly blows and shakes the trees violently. I gasp at the sudden cold and Y/N pulls me against her, shielding me from the wind.

Leaves rain down from the trees onto us and the leaves on the ground dance and fly.

After the wind calms down, we resume playing in the leaves. Eventually, we settle under an orange-leafed tree.

Y/N sits with her back against the tree and me in between her legs with my back against her chest.

"I love fall," I say. "I really missed this."

"I know, that's why I wanted I bring you out here. Autumn is when change happens. The trees drop their leaves in preparation for winter. Taking walks through a forest can be impactful on your life too. It makes you see beauty and happiness and can cause people to change internally as well"

I lean my head back against her shoulder and fall asleep.

I wake up back in the prison cell.

Was it all a dream?

Y/N sits next to the lava, the orange glow illuminating her face.

I pull myself towards her, dragging the metal chains behind me.

"Y/N, was it a dream?"

"What was what a dream?"

"Was it a dream that we were outside in the courtyard playing in the leaves?"

She smiles and brushes my hair out of my face.

"You tell me."

I run my hand through my hair and my hand catches on something. I freeze and pull it out.

It's a leaf.

A leaf that shows fall.
The center is green.
Spreading out from the center is yellow, orange, red, and finally brown at the tips.

I go to my chest and dig out my journal. I press the leaf inside the pages.

I return to Y/N and hug her tightly.

"Thank you," I whisper. "For making every day here as good as it can be."

I feel her pull in closer and kiss my hair.

"You're welcome."

Later that night, I lie on the hard obsidian thinking about today's events.

Wait wasn't I supposed to escape? I had a plan. I never stray from my plan. How did I get distracted so easily? No matter, I won't do it again. Next time, I will seize my opportunity to get out of here. I won't let my feelings get in the way of power.

——————————————————————————————

844 words

Short wholesome chapter.
Just meant as a time filler.
Next chapter is Winter and the next will be a Christmas one!
Christmas in the prison?

Comment any mistakes you find so I can fix them!