Chapter two

The ride home had been long and quite except for the soft country music coming from the speakers. When we finally reached our small Montana ranch. I jumped out and grabbed Red Dawn.

Our ranch was fifty acres full of pastures and some wooden trails. After both of my parents had won their fourth wranger national rodeo buckles they put aside the rodeo fun and opened up their own ranch. Here we rehabilitate horses to become good working horses or barrel racing horses. Me and my mom usually train the horses while dad and a few of his friends tend to the fifty heads of cattle we own. With green pastures and barb wire fences it makes up my home.

I let Red Dawn out into one of our back pastures so he could munch on some grass. I headed to our big old wooden barn. It was one that you always saw on the old farms. It was freshly painted last spring so the bright red stood out while it's brown roof seemed to fade into the shadows. The barn was big.  When I mean big I mean ten stalls in each aisle. Twenty stalls altogether and one tack room that was half a stall size. And on top of all that there's this huge hay loft up above the stalls. The barn was my most favorite place on this property besides on a horse's back.

I walked up to one of the first stalls on the left were I found a little black colt with a white heart on his head standing next to his bay quarter horse mama. We had breed my mom's horse brandy again but this time she produced a nice little black colt. He was about a month old now and he was just cute as a button. I named him Cupid because of the perfect little white heart that rest on his forehead. Red Dawn now had a full blood brother.

"Hey there baby" I spoke softly as I stepped into the stall. Cupid came prancing over to me while Brandy kept one eye on her baby and the other on the hay she was eating.

"How've you been Cupid" I petted his soft little neck. He had long skinny legs that could carry him around the world if he so wished. A handful of times he's escaped from his stall. He was an escape artist and a smart little thing too. But you just have to love him when you look into his deep brown eyes.

"Ya home Hon?" I heard my mother's caring voice carry down the barn.

"Over here ma" I called out as I slipped Cupid's baby halter on him.

"Awe I see your visiting your baby" my mom came into view outside of the stall.

I smiled at her while I hooked a lead rope to Brandy's halter. My mom slid the door open allowing Cupid to fly out of the stall. My mom wrapped her arms around his neck stopping him from going anywhere else. 

"Where you going sugar" my mom asked the little foal.

Me and her walked Brandy out of the barn with Cupid crow hopping around us. When we reached the pasture I let Brandy go. Cupid raced around the pen taking off like a bullet shot out of the gun while his mama just trotted circles on the inside. I smiled at the sight of the two.

"So how's grandpa?" I had to get that question out. It had been bugging me the whole ride home and it was just eating me up. I watched my mom tense up before she let out a long sigh.

"He's seen better May" my mom started to rub her temples. I suddenly felt bad bringing that up. Looking back at the two horses I thought to change the subject.

"Me and Red Dawn won" I said a little more cheerful. A smile lit up my mom's face.

"That's great dear. At this rate you and Red Dawn are gonna be heading to the national finals this year" by this point my mom was shinning with pride.

"Thanks mom I really hope me and Red Dawn can get there" I smiled back at her.

"No doubt in my mind. But the rodeo that's gonna make or break ya is the Hudson rodeo. Win that one and your in the wranger completion for the finals" my mom patted  my back kinda like a older brother would smack your back.

"We'll win mom I promise" I beamed at her.

I smiled back at Cupid. After I retire Red Dawn my plan is to race Cupid. He shows much potential with his blood lines and with his wild heart as a baby.

I just couldn't stand myself knowing one of the most biggest rodeos I'm gonna have this year is in just two days away. I turned my back on the two horses in the pasture and started to make the track to the house. I needed some sleep.