Chapter Eighteen

Un doing the front chinch I pulled off the fragile looking english saddle of the new gelding. Yesterday my dad had received a new project. A project that our family hasn't revived in a long, long time. An English brat's horse.

Chuckling to myslef I grabbed a brush and started to groom the bay gelding. The horse was a beautiful sixteen hand high bay jumper pony. With his four white stockings and white blaze he was a striking looking thing. And nobody said a nice six horse trailer and 2015 half simi truck smears a horse's fancy looks.

And yes that's why I'm calling the owner a brat. I mean the girl couldn't have even come to drop her horse off. The driver unloaded the horse handed me the rains and a letter, and just as he came he left.

My dad said the jumper pony had lost his spark or drive for the game along the way as hesitating over jumps. And if their owner wants to go over jumps higher then the horse then it can't hestated at all. A simple pause can lead to the wrong footing, which leads to a crimping fall if not death. Somehow I was suppose to fix this. Rolling my eyes I dug the brush deeper into the dark coat.

The only importan information out of the letter I revived was just the simple facts. The horse's name was Duke, I would get paid, what his issues where, and he owner would be over as soon as they could becouse they where too busy at the moment.

I didn't really see anything wrong with Duke so far. I had taken him over the bridge and even for a trail ride after I round penned him. He did everything I asked. He was soft mouthed making me be gently on my hands and since I had gotten him just this morning I decided to wait on the jumps. If the pony truely was nervouse about his jumps I think we where going to have to start from the very beginning.

Sighing I set the brush down and looked over at Duke. His head hung low in the cross ties as his eye lids slowly closed. He seemed relaxed for a new horse in a new area. I wasn't complaining by any means but I was supirsed.

Maybe the brat hadn't ruined her horse yet.
○■○

○■○■○

○■○■○■○

The next morning started early. Yesterday after dinner my farther informed me that Duke's owner would be over at "high noon" tomorrow. Tomorrow as in today.

I figured that Duke's owner would like to start a plan with me. With every client our family takes in we have a meeting with them, ask the what's wrong, if they want to be there with every step in the training or give us full control.

Sometimes though I just take it into my own hands and start work before these meetings. Such as Duke. I had his plan already laid out and I wanted to start him off this morning before his owner showed up so then we had something to show for.

Something told me that even though it has only been a day and barley a half that Duke's owner wants results, and soon.

Throwing the small jumper's blanket on and then saddle I prepared myself for what ever kind of person I was going to end up meeting today. I was cirouse where they would fall on my brat meter. One being the lowest and ten being the highest.

As I clinched up the girth I heard a truck muffle outside the barn. Leaving the barn to look I spotted Jack's shitty Chevy rested in front of my barn. He gave me a small wave before he started towards me. And he wasn't alone.

My blood started to boil as I watched a blond bimbo jump out of the shot gun seat and fall into step with him. Her lipstick covered lips turned up in a smile as she glanced inbetween me and Jack. Biting the inside of my cheeks I held back my tone as I gave them both a friendly welcome.

"Macy this is May. May this is Macy" Macy had linked her arm with Jack's making me clinch my fist together tightly at my side. Who the hell does she think she is? I wanted to smack that fake, makeup caked smile off her face.

I sent Jack a look asking him to explain but he only smirked which made me take a second take. Is this what mama warned me about? The cowboy's game? OK, game on.

"Jack can I talk to you" I barley got the words through my clenched teeth. Jack whispered something to the blond who left towards the truck only to slam the tailgate down. I flinch at the noise before I went back to glaring at Jack.

"Who's she?" I hisssed. Jack chuckled before he glanced at the blond and then back at me.

"She's my co...wait. Are you jelouse?" Jack's smirk reapeared as he looked at me. Folding my arms across my chest I felt like exploding. Duh I was jelouse! How could I not when I think I just got played.

"Never" my voice still held venom as I watch Jack just keep on enjoying me holding together my anger.

"Well technically I never asked you to be my girlfriend soo...I'm still a free bird" I felt my heart drop to my toes as I heard the words.

Part of me told me he was lieing, that this was some sick joke but then again, he was a cowboy. I bite my lip as I struggled my shoulders. Stay strong my mind whispersd as starred back at Jack.

"Good becouse I got a few men I got to a tend to" with that I spun around on my heels and left.

Duke perked up his ears as I jingle his bit in my hand. Slipping the bridle over his ears I lead him out of the barn, past Jack who I looked past. Last thing that I needed was to see that stupid and hurtful smirk of his.

Grabbing the rains softly in my hands I mounted up onto this beast. Not easy. Not at all easy to mount a sixteen hand high horse when you got an english saddle with no saddle horn.

Entering the arena at a walk I started my normal warm ups for my horses. Walk, trot, and then a canter after their muscles are warmed up. And just as I was about to walk him over the ground poles a brand spanking new truck pulled into my driveway.

I pulled Duke to a stop as I glanced over to Jack. He was leaned up against the railing with the blond beside him. His eyes shifted from me and Duke to the truck.

The engine killed and I sat their perfectly still on Duke. Duke watched the truck too as the door opened. There jumping out of his truck was the last thing I expected. Peeling off his sunglasses his eyes matched mine with a smirk before he looked at the horse underneath me.

"Ay Duke"