Chapter twenty eight

"It's been some time since I've seen your family. How's the parents?" Slowly she pushed her self up from her chair. Trying my best to act friendly and less violent then I felt I forced a smile.

"Their doing well. Business is booming" I was pleased I didn't have to hide my pride as she finished walking around the desk.

Jack knowing nothing stood uncomfortably and almost forgotten behind me. My mind registered him as I felt his finger tips gently graze my back as a reminder. Glancing out of the corner of my eye I saw him shot me a quick smile before Mrs Mether coughed.

"Mrs Mether this is Jack....he's a working hand at home and a close friend" I watched her eyebrows sprang up at close friend but no corrections where made. Smiling at Jack she took his outstretched hand with a friendly shake.

"It's a pleasure to meet a friend of May's. She doesn't visit as often as she once did" Mrs Mether's attention soon swayed back to me. Cocking one shoulder up I nodded.

"Well I got a new job and the rodeo circuit called" Mrs Mether waved my accuses out of the way.

"Life my dear. Plus I'm sure this young man was stepping in too was he not?" She patted Jack's shoulder slightly before leaning against her desk in front of me. Jack once again shifted closer to me as comfort.

I was feeling slightly trapped. The one window in this room was too high to see out of and the door was shut. Mrs Mether stood in front of me and the stable hand forgottenly stood by the door. Mrs Mether had yet to chase him out but it looked like he'd rather be out of this room any ways.

"I met Jack on the circuit so no. He's not why I left"

"You want to tell me why you left?" Her question sharp and hard.

Mrs Mether was no catch. Sure for being in her fifties her blond hair was still vibrant and her body still slim but her personality was like a snake's.

Truth was I knew Mrs Mether once very well. While mom and dad where on the circuit and I finally turned sixteen and under the law able to be hired I started working here at this barn. I started off just like everyone else; another disposable stable hand but ever so slightly did I move up to Mrs Mether's right hand man. Originally that's where I thought I always needed to be. Where I belonged.

I was wrong though. The snake like personality came out very quick when she felt comfortable with me. She cut angles on bills, lied to customers only to have them come back for training. She made people feel small and insecure with just one stare. And just to top it all off her training techniques were not how I was raised.

When Mrs Mether rode she rode with precision and drive but always a whip. I saw no wrong in a whip for I once in a while i ride a horses with one for speed but she did not need one. She was rough in the hands and stern in the voice with no let up. It didn't take much for the horses to pick up on when she was coming down the stalls.

For when I questioned something she did I was sent to clean stalls. Something used as a punishment but I found more as an eye opener. That first day when she ordered me to clean stalls after she had other handlers whip the heels of a horse over a jump I saw how horses saw the woman. As I racked out the last of the stall shavings Mrs Mether's heels clicked down the hallway. Instantly the horse that was in the stall with me cowered in the corner and pinned his ears back. Sighing, that day I quite.

Mrs Mether had handed me my last paycheck and with out an explanation besides my farm needed me I left. Mrs Mether knew that wasn't the true reason and since then she's never dropped it. I didn't need Mrs Mether to help me finish off Duke's work with me. I already knew what she'd done and what I need to fix.

"I said family business and the rodeo circuit" Mrs Mether clucked her tongue at my answer but nodded with me any ways.

"And your here because?" The snake words slowly started to slither up her throat reaching my ears finally.

"Nothing I got all I needed. Nice seeing you again Mrs Mether" with that I doing in my heels to leave this trap.

"Like wise May" I reached the door just before her voice clipped at me again.

"May!?" I was half way out the door. Glancing over my shoulder I raised my eyebrow.

"That Duke horse...the one that was sent to you. I do think his rider is very strapping and farther approval don't you think?" My eyebrows stitched together until flashes started to run through my mind.

High end everything form Matt. I didn't know the kids last name but dad seemed quite unpleasant when ever he had to mention Matt. Could he be? No! Yes? Maybe.

"He's your..."

"He's got my beauty doesn't he?" My breath caught in my throat as my stomach twisted.

"Spy?" I questioned. Surprisingly my stomach didn't give out then and there as I watched her lips turn sinister.

"Only trying to get the best help in the state"

And I lost my temper.

Spinning around quickly I raced to my truck with Jack hot my heels. No one spoke as we both slammed our doors shut and roar out of the driveway. I thought I liked that kid. I was falling quick for him and everything was still out of place but Matt? Was it all an act? Did I really just have a naive heart that can black out my best thoughts.