Chapter Thirty Seven

More months have passed after the wedding and sure enough Cory had kept the underline promise that I would not vanish from his and Jackie's life. And I definitely didn't leave his mind when the news got around the family that Jackie was pregnant with a set of twins.

"So what do you think about names?" Jackie flipped through another baby name book as I poured her and Jack a cup of coffee.

"Depends on what you want their names to reflect" Jack being the best boyfriend he could stuck with me through this awful day.

Don't get me wrong, I'm starting to love Jackie as if she was family but this was the second day in a row she was here at my place. Second day of trying to find baby names that the girl will never even consider. By now I just wanted to stab my ears out so I can't hear her say no and yank my eyes out of their socket so I can't see her shake her head.

"Yeah I guess" Jackie's bored voice already made me want to shove earplugs in. No wonder Cory left Jackie with me when he was at work.

Sighing I took my seat in Jack's lap. With chores already done and no clients today I had no escape except for Jack. His strong arms wrapped around me as I leaned my head back against his shoulder. I wanted nothing but to go back to bed as Jackie continued to flip through the useless pages.

"you know I hope you never get pregnant" Jack's lips came to my ear in a whisper. Trying my best not to laugh out loud I turned towards him.

"Excuse me?" My eyebrows rose and Jack let out a rumble of a chuckle.

"Pregnant women get weird" he crinkled his nose in discus making me laugh out loud. Jackie looked up from the book only long enough to send us a confused look and then she was back to work.

"Who even said I'd even have sex with you?" I countered as a defense.

Jack shock his head before putting on a signature smirk before leaning in as close as he could get to me. His lips barley brushed my ear lobe as his breath tickled my skin.

"You know you can't resist all of me" Jack pushed his chest against my back making me let out a nervous chuckle.

"Keep dreaming cowboy" standing up I moved my way across the table behind Jackie.

As I stood behind her shoulder I looked across to Jack only to see his eyes a darker shade then before. I sent him a wink before looking back down at the book. Today was going to be a good day.

****

Jack's fingers weaved perfectly into mine as we took a stroll through the trails. Half an hour ago Cory came and picked up his wife and soon to be babies which gave my ears a break. Jackie still hadn't picked out any names for her twins and that drove me crazy.

"If I have to deal with Jackie another day to pick out baby names I'm going to pull out all my hair" I all but yelled as I grabbed my hair with my extra hand.

Jack chuckled as he brought us to a stop. Taking his hands away from me Jack ran his fingers through my hair. Feeling the goosebumps already form I let out a short laugh as Jack stepped closer to me.

"Not the hair! Oh May don't pull out the hair!" Jack's goofy side obviously coming out as he pulled my hair causing me to fall into him.

"Stop it!" Letting a laugh escape my lips I pushed Jack away.

"What? What am I doing babe" grabbing my waist Jack pulled my back into his chest.

"Your full of it today" I tried to wiggled my way out of Jack's embrace only to be squeezed tighter.

"May" Jack whinnied like a little boy as I finally gave up.

"What's the matter with you?" Twirling around I played around with Jack's t-shirt collar.

"I...I think we should talk" my fingers stopped their fumbling with the fabric. My own eyes meeting his with fear.

"Talk? As in a a good talk or bad talk" slightly I pushed Jack back only to have  Jack's hands clasp mine.

"No no talk. I mean...talk about our futures. Where our future is going" Jack let me have my room as my hands ran through my hair.

"Wh...why you wondering this?" My hands fidgeted with the hem of my shirt. Jack's hand brought my chin up as he smiled down at me.

"Scared?" Jack's whisper barley made it to my ears before I shook my head and pulled my chin out of his grasp.

"Always" sending a timid smile over my shoulder I continued down the trail.

"oh come on May. Cory's wedding got me thinking. Where do we even stand?" Jack grabbed my arm swinging me around.

"We stand together. I don't know what you want me to say Jack. We've known each other for years and we've only been dating ten months" my mouth started tumbling out words before I knew what was happening.

"Right but is this just going to be another fling in your eyes?" Jack's voice surprisingly seemed scared and nervous as he too fidgeted with his hands.

"Jack I've never had a fling" I stated proudly as I cut the space between us in half.

"Matt" Jack was careful to bring up the name. Rolling my eyes I shrugged.

"Well your not Matt now are you?" The trails feel silent around us.

Each one of us thinking of our next words and where this conversation could be heading. Honestly Jack was my first boyfriend and he was no fling for me. Part of me felt as if Jack saw me the same. Closing off the space between the two of us I wrapped my ruff hands around Jack's neck.

"I love you Jack" my eyes bored into his in all seriousness. A smile played against Jack's lips as his hands placed themselves gently on my hips.

"And I love you May. That's kinda why I was wondering if I was jumping into this too fast" I raised an eyebrow as Jack let me go. Jack started to reach into his pocket making my mind swirl with questions.

"If your proposing to me you know I'll have to say no" my voice teasing but in all seriousness I was really going to have to say no.

I wasn't ready for that step and it wasn't the best timing honesty. Well at lest it didn't feel like the right time. Jack chuckled making me relax.

"No no I don't think either of us are ready for that step" both of us chuckled but it all ended too quickly as Jack's hands flew to his back.

"May Smith we've known each other longer then these wonderful ten months that I've been able to call you my girlfriend. I've seen you on your worst days where your pretty little eyes are spilling tears to your best days where there's money in your pocket and those three barrels are still standing" Jack grabbed one of my hands with his as he tugged me closer to him.

"I was a jealous man the months before I could call you mine. The months where I discovered that I loved you and I wasn't going to let another man call you his. I understood if you love someone let them go but I know you too. You always wanted someone to fight for you instead of you fighting for them. So when I came back into your life I was content. Content but not fully happy until I could steal kisses from your lips and show you off to the world as my girlfriend" Jack paused to look me in the eye.

"Now this isn't a proposal but it is a promise. A promise that one day this ring I place on your hand today will one day be replaced with a diamond. One day, if you'll let me of course, you'll be the only woman I need as my wife and the mother to my children. May I promise with this ring that you have all my heart and my whole life if you want. You are my everything and I'm hoping that you'll let me be your everything. I love you May"

Cracking open the ring box Jack took out the ring. A smile took over my lips as I stared down at the ring that was being placed on my ring finger. It was a horseshoe nail bent into a my ring size which I didn't even know. Looking up at Jack I leaned in and peeked his cheek.

"I love you too"