Chapter seventeen

There's a simple reason why we call our rib cage a rib cage. Because of our hearts. Our hearts are a crazy bird wanting out when it wants out. And I think today it was becoming restless.

My heart thundered against my ribs. The feeling of it wanting to burst inside of me making me a tad nervous but I couldn't help it. My breaths came in slow and uneasy as I watched a girl run out into the arena that holds my futcher and my family's past. My fingers gripping onto Red Dawn's rains alittle tighter. His restless state feeded into my panicking heart. His feet pawed at the ground as he tosted his head inot the air. His body soaking in our excited environment. He was ready. I was ready.

The girl flew out of the arena with her whip connecting with her gelding's rear end. I flinched slightly at the smacking noise. I never hated the whips nor loved them. I just knew it never worked for my mares or geldings. They just stopped running with their hearts after they felt the sting. My horses didn't need the encouragement. They either ran with their hearts and gave it their all with getting better or I just didn't run them.

Red Dawn though. He was a different story for me. He pawed at the ground harder as I felt his muscles tighten under the saddle. Begging me to run. Begging me into releasing him and allowing him to open up.

Red dawn from the beging has always loved his job. Back at the ranch when I first found this red dun colt in the barn my father had already set the horse's futcher a sail. Red Dawn was never suppose to live with me after he turned four. The original plan for Brandy's first born foul was to use her cutting horse bloodline and start her babies off on that path. Red Dawn had used his mother's cow breed blood lines to his advange. Any cow you set his eyes on even now he'll cut for you. With sharp turns on his ass end he was just about perfect. But come around few days before his fourth birthday when a man would come to buy him Red Dawn found his deepest desire. He was out in the pasture running around near the arena where I had set up barrels to work on a half thoghbred mare. I had rescued her from an elderly woman who just couldn't afford her anymore and had died serval days before the horse was even been discovered let alone the woman's body. As I tried the mare around the barrels I remember seeing Red Dawn stop running as soon as me and the mare spun around the first barrel. By the time I had finished the mare on the pattern and pulled her to a stop I remember just looking back at the stud colt. His head hung over the fence his ears perked straight forward looking at me with this certain spark in his eyes. A spark that I've never seen in any horse's eyes to this day still, just filled his. I could tell he wanted barrels. I could tell that he might have cow blood in him but he was meant to run the barrels like his mama. From there I bought him, trained him, and have ran him ever since then.

I shook my head at my memory before looking forward. It was my turn and Red Dawn knew it. His feet almost ready to eat the ground up like it was breakfast. My heart pounded against my rib cage again as I let Red Dawn walk or should I say prance to the gate. I nodded to the man. The gate swung open and that's all it took.

Our bodies moving as one. The barrels nothing more then a mere rock almost. Red Dawn's head bending beautifully over the barrel as he swung his body around it. His body snaked around our second barrel. My eyes latched onto the last barrel as I sent Red Dawn over. As his body turned almost perfectly around the barrel as the rodeo grounds exploded into a yell. My hands shooting up Red Dawn's neck as my heels collided with his sides.

Stretching out his neck with ears pinned flat against his head Red Dawn knew his job. His legs stretching out as far as he could. His hooves sounding off the sound of my heart and his muscles contracting and releasing as he collided himself up and release. As I pulled at his mouth for a stop Red Dawn did a stop that he hasn't doesn't in forever. He did a sliding stop!

My heart pounding like thunder and my hands shaking like crazy. But the smile that stretched across my face. It shinned like the fire that I felt light up inside of me.

"May!" I jumped off of Red dawn turning around. Jack was speed walking through the crowd of rodeo stars. When he finally found a gap inbetween the crowd Jack's muscular frame came into veiw. My smile increasing at the sight of him if that's even possible.

"Amazing!" Jack came almost at a run to me before he picked me up. He quickly swung me around in the air before setting me back down.

I giggled slightly still feeling Jack's arms around my back as I was held to his chest. My eyes locked with his making my heart beat against its cage again. I swear if my heart doesn't get a break of this thundering feeling it's going to burst. Sighing I leaned my face into Jack's chest.

"Ride of lives" I whispered ever so slightly. I could feel Jack's chest rumble under my cheek. Smiling I knew I was respected and safe. Safe as being on Red Dawn. Plain and simple.