Chapter twenty two

Dust clogged my pores as the Montana sun started to set and the rodeo grounds lights flickered to light. All I could make out of most of the girl's runs was the dust they stired up.

Red Dawn came to life once again under me as the crowd screamed at the last rider. His eyes widened and his muscles contracted as he planned on his next move.

"Easy boy" I patted Red Dawn's strong neck as I starred straight ahead. Another dust storm brewed inside the pen as the last girl excited. It was all me now.

Sitting up straight in the saddle once again I collected my reins. Red Dawn took these as simple signs. I edged him forward cousing him to turn sideways and prance. Pulling back on the reins I knew it was going to be a good run. Just as the gate swung open I released Red Dawn's head.

Taking off like a storm across the plains we made our own dust storm. We ate up the ground and spun around our barrels as if we where a tornado. Nothing stood in our way now. Not when Red Dawn couldn't think of anything but running. Not when my heart pounded in my chest as if begging to be set free.

Rounding the third barrel it all set in. Everything around us became a streak of nothing and the ground disappeared as if Red Dawn had sprouted wings and took me into the air. But here on the ground we broke the timer and I pulled back the beast who knew how to fly like a bird.

Sucking in a breath I spotted Jen and her palomino standing not to far off. Smiling she sent me a thumbs up and left. Shaking my head a smile split my face and pride swelled up my heart. My hands shook with excitement and my legs trembled with out feeling the ground in so long.

"Damn girl!" Turing to the voice I spotted a firmilar face. Matt stood near my stirrups looking up at me. He too seemed to share the pride in his eyes.

"You see that?" My lungs gasped for air as I dismounted as gracefully as you can when your legs barely work.

"Best thing I've ever seen. I heard a fourteen point something run" Matt glanced at the arena, to Red Dawn and then to me.

"I'm glad you agreed to do Duke's training then" I allowed Matt to place his arm around my shoulders as we walked back to the trailer.

"Why so?" I glanced up at him as I pulled Red Dawn closer to me. His red muzzle brushed up against my arm as if sercirty had arrived.

"If you can ride that beast at that pass you should be able to ride a collective horse" Matt snorted at that comment but I felt slightly ready to lunge at him.

"Red Dawn is collective. If he wasn't I would have had a stumble at the very first barrel" sliding out from Matt's arm I started to untack Red Dawn.

"I think you took my complement wrong" Matt leaned up against the trailer almost smirking at me. With a simple eye roll his lips had twitched into a straight line.

"I take my horses seriously. Mess with them you get war world three coming at you" shoving my saddle into Matt's chest. He grabbed it with raise eyebrows.

"Don't test me English brat"