Chapter Thirty Four

My ribs hurt as I let out another laugh. Jack had pulled off the road an hour ago into a big open pasture. Supposedly according to Jack he was friends with the old man who owns the land. Hence Jack had decided he would take me. The sun was still shining brightly down on us but a gently breeze blew every now and then to keep us comfortable.

Jack had dropped the tailgate where I sat as he started digging out the food he packed. For being a man Jack wasn't too bad at thinking up good date ideas I guess.

Jack had packed a radio to help not kill his truck battery and turned it on to our local country station called Q Country. Old, new, fast, and slower songs played in my ears as I watched Jack pour some sweet tea out of a canteen. He admitted earlier he couldn't make tea or good food for the life of him so his mom did.

"Well she made the tea but I made the sandwiches" Jack proudly smiled as he waved a plastic wrapped sandwich at me. Chuckling I grabbed it out of his hand.

"So we go from bar to open field huh?" I glanced around as I unwrapped the food. It was pretty out.

The newly put up fence posts stood out against the older dark green tree line. The grass in here was actually wonderful, almost hay like making me curious if we truly shouldn't be in here with a truck to tear it up.

"Yup" Jack disturbed my observing as he hopped up onto the tailgate with me. He hungrily bite into his sandwich as he placed his tea behind him.

A blanket of silence fell over us as we ate. Jack had scotched closer to me causing our legs to bump up next to each other. Looking away from the field I glanced to Jack who smiled like an idiot at me. Swallowing my last bite I sat up a little straighter.

"What?" Jack shrugged as he took his last bite.

The music behind us paused slightly as the station switched to a slower and older song. Straining my ears I tried to hear what song it was.

"I don't want to be the kind to hesitate, be too shy, wait too late. I don't care what they say other lovers do" Jack's voice rang through the air as he hopped off the tail gate reaching for my hand.

"I just want to dance with you" the song lyrics danced off of Jack's lips welcoming as I took his hand.

Pulling me into his chest Jack placed a hand on my waist. A smile played on both of our lips as Jack pulled my other hand into his. Weaving his fingers into mine I could already feel the heat between us suck away my air.

"I gotta feeling that you have a heart like mine
So let it show, let it shine" Jack didn't stop his singing as he moved us gently to the music.

"If we have a chance to make one heart of two
Then I just want to dance with you" the more the lyrics left his lips the more I wanted to giggle as I started up into his eyes.

"I want to dance with you twirl you all around the floor. That's what they intended dancin' for.
I just want to dance with you" my voice joined Jack's as he slightly twirled me.

My boots dug into the dirt as I came back into Jack's arms. I couldn't help but giggle as the song picked up at the chorus.

"I caught you lookin' at me when I looked at you. Yes I did, I ain't that true?  You won't get embarrassed by the things I do. I just want to dance with" Jack pulled me in impossibly tighter to his chest as we swayed to the faster rhythm.

" Oh the boys are playin' softly and the girls are too. So am I and so are you. If this was a movie, we'd be right on cue. And I just want to dance with you" George Strait had nothing on my Jack as both of them continue to sing to me. Jack leaned his forehead down onto mine making my face heat up slightly.

"  I want to dance with you. Twirl you all around the floor. That's what they intended dancin' for. And I just want to dance with you" me and Jack separated once again as I twirled but I never felt him leave as I was pulled back as fast as both of us could mange.

My lips parted slightly as they searched for air when Jack once again placed his forehead down on mine. My eyes bored into his as the song continue.

"I want to dance with you. Hold you in my arms once more. That's what they intended dancin' for. I just want to dance with you" Jack closed his voice at that as he leaned down closer to me. His eyes slightly left mine for a second to glance down at my lips and then back up to my eyes.

"May..." Jack trailed off as George Strait continued his solo.

"Don't waste time" I could barely recognize my voice by how airy and out of breath it sounded like.

I could feel my heart fly against my rib cage as it tried to escape to join Jack's. Sliding my one hand out of Jack's I placed both my hands on his chest to feel his heart beat.

He too seemed to be out of breath while neither one of us had down anything to physical  demanding. Jack laced his arms around my waist pulling me chest to chest against him. His head still dipped down to meet mine.

I just want to dance with you
Hold you in my arms once more
That's what they intended dancin' for

I just want to dance with you

As George strait finished off the song I felt like we were slowly losing time for this action. When the music slowly started to die down I tried to break off but Jack gripped me tighter and held me in place.

"Tell me you like me better then Matt" Jack's voice resonated pain as I looked back into his eyes.

Anger danced along with hurt and pain in a Dosie dough jig. Sighing I cupped Jack's cheeks in my hand to make him stare back at me.

"I wouldn't be here if I didn't like you more then I'll ever or ever have liked Matt" when my words finally met Jack's ears his lips met mine.

Jack was gentle but passionate as it seemed like he was begging for forgiveness. Forgiveness that was never meant for him. Forgiveness I should be asking him for as we moved in sync. My hands fell to Jack's chest as he placed his hand on my cheek.

Not able to breath against his tender lips I pulled back enough to let the air to escape back into my lungs. Smiling up at Jack I kissed his cheek.

"Thank you" I whispered.