Chapter Thirty One

Matt had done just as I asked. With in the next day Mrs Mether drove in. Their brand new pick up truck and six horse trailer rattled down our gravel driveway with ease.

I watched Matt from a far. Him and Duke stood a few feet away from me yet I felt like they were a world away. I was on one country and they where an ocean away.

Truly my feet ached to walk over those twenty steps and say something. What would I say? I don't even have a clue. I just wanted to talk. This wasn't how he was suppose to leave and this isn't how I wanted him to leave yet I asked him to go. I made that demand and he was only following it.

This realization hit me the hardest as I watched the stable hand that helped me and Jack at Mrs Mether's jump out of the truck to grab Duke from Matt. Mrs Mether sat tall and smiling in the driver's seat while Matt stood still. His body ridged with some kind of emotion as he starred daggers at that truck and trailer.

Sucking in a breath Matt turned on his heels and made those twenty steps. His light brown riding boots crunched the gravel under their weight as he fiddled around with a white envelope in his hands. It was then that I looked up to meet Matt's eyes for the first time since yesterday. Disappointment, anger, sadness, and something I couldn't recognize swarmed his eyes as he handed me that white envelope.

The weight of the envelope weighted heavy in my hand pulling my heart down to the gravel.

"It's what I owe you and much more. I broke your trust and that was wrong"

"Matt please..."

"No let me finish" sealing my mouth shut I nodded.

Matt sighed and then let his hand run frantically through his hair. Not having the envelope to mess around with now in his hand he played with his fingers. Taking in a deep breath I watched as Matt gathered his words again.

"I regret why I came here but I don't regret being here. I don't regret my words, I don't regret going to that rodeo with you and I don't regret the lake. Well actually I take that back..." I paused at his words.

Did he really regret the lake? The one memory that I tried so hard to protect from Mrs Mether's information from ruining. Was I keeping this memory safe for a stupid reason?

"I regret the lake for one reason and one reason only. I...I never got to kiss you. The whole time I've been liking you and you've given me so many chances and yet that Jack guys keeps interrupting us. Ugh" Matt paused as his fingers combed through his decently longer hair then Jack's.

My lips still stayed sealed as I let him get the words out he needed to say. Even if the words cut through me as a knife. My mind couldn't help but wonder if this was a trick to get to let him stay long. Trick or not I was standing my ground.

"It was then that day when you came back from my barn did I realize maybe I was never suppose to kiss you. Maybe I'm a big flirt and fell for the pretty blond cowgirl who's a devil when mad" at that both of us chuckled making Matt have to pause once again.

"Sure I won't be okay with that for awhile but oh well. I just ask that you let Jack get close to you again. You know...get to be how you two where before I rolled up here with Duke. The way Jack looks at you is how I use to feel about you. And I think if you let him, I think Jack could make you happy" a smile grew on my face as I watched Matt glance down to the ground.

The truck horn honked as I heard the door slam shut knowing the stable hand was back in the truck. Matt let out a long sigh before letting me look into his eyes one last time.

"I guess that's my signal" Matt tried to crack a smile but how could you after spilling your guts out like he just did a minute ago. Trying my own best to smile I nodded.

"I guess so" the silence between us becoming painful as Matt leaned in. A quick kiss on the cheek and a small smile Matt left.

This time it was Matt's turn to turn his back on me. His slumped shoulders let me know I wasn't the only one upset as he climbed into the truck.

The trailer and truck flung up gravel as it drove off. Part of my heart ripped at the words Matt had said. He didn't regret anything and neither would I.

"May" spinning on my heels I saw Jack peeking out of the barn door. Smiling I walked over to him.

"Come check this out" he nodded in the barn as he grabbed my wrist.

"You're gonna love this"