Chapter ten

The funeral end up being a hard funeral. Everyone dressed in black. Including me.

I starred in my bedroom mirror. A black lacy knee high dress that had long lace selves. Yes it was in the middle of summer in Montana but the laced selves helped with air flow.

I stood there just starting at myself. I had curled my golden blond hair. But my stormy gray eyes are what stood out. They were no longer a shiny gray but a dark gray. They looked as if a storm was boiling inside if me. Which to be honest there was one deep down in side of me.

"May" I heard Jack whisper from my door.

I looked at him out of the corner of my eye. He wore a nice pair if dark jeans and a deep red button up shirt. His brown hair was combed back. He looked very handsome unlike me. I had big puffy bags under my stormy eyes that made me look like I had two black eyes.

"Come on" he said gently as he linked arms with me and lead me down stairs into his truck. I wasn't ready for any of this. The pain in my heart only increased as the truck roared to life.

****skip the funeral

I sat quietly under a pin tree. Cupid was running around like the little pistol he was around his mama. My grandpa always said that Cupid would turn out to be a nice stud and a barrel racer if I trained him just right. So we haven't gelded Cupid yet and I doubt we ever will.  The day Cupid was born my grandpa had came over.

Flashback

"Well isn't that a nice colt" he sat down next to me in the straw watching the little black colt trying to stand.

"Look grandpa! He has a heart on his forehead" I pointed out as the colt turned his head towards us.

He was soaked in new birth as he tried out his new legs. His back legs started to shake as he pulled his front legs underneath him. As soon as the little guy was standing He tried to walk over to his mama to nurse. But his new legs gave out under him making him hit the straw with a little thunk.

"He'll get the hang if it May don't worry" my grandpa patted my back.

"You want to name him grandps?" I asked. My grandpa rubbed his chin as he seemed deep in thought.

"How about...Cupid" my grandpa smiled at me.

"Cupid it is" I smiled back at him before I turned back to the little foul.

"You hear that boy? We're gonna call you Cupid" I said to the foul as his ears flicked towards us.

End of flash back

A silent tear rolled off my cheek. After that day my grandpa started to cough up blood. We rushed him into the hospital scared for his life when my grandpa laughed.

"How can a human cough up blood when I haven't had a bloody nose since I was seven?" he chuckled at his own joke which made us all relax. Only a little though.

My grandpa had away had a way of making bad situations seem ok. It was one of the best trates he had.

"Hey hon" my mom crouched down in front of me. I smiled up at her. How can I cry when she just lost her dad? You just can't.

"So the Garden rodeo is tomorrow and I was think that would be a good rodeo to earn some points in" My mom started to play with her hands.

I sighed. I guess eventually I was gonna have  to get back on the horse and ride. I was gonna have to place first in all my rodeos from here on out just to barely make it into the finals since I skipped several over the past two weeks. I nodded my head at my mom. A smile crossed her lined face for the first time in a while.

"Good then get everything set up. Jack offered to take you when he comes back up in Montana tomorrow. He had to go home and get his horse" my mom added the last part after I gave her a puzzled look.

I nodded my head as I stood up dusting off the black dress I was still wearing. This thing is so uncomfortable. I headed towards the house feeling a little excited about the rodeo tomorrow in Gardener Montana.