Chapter seven

I was finally home. I unhooked the trailer when a ranch hand came up to me.

"I got it Ms May. And I'll get Red Dawn too. Your parents want to talk to you" I hoped out of the truck bed.

"Ok thank you" I said. I started to head up to the house.

Normally my mom would come out and ask how I did but she had yet to do that. Something had to up. I walked up the porch steps a little faster as I let my imagination run wild on what could have possibly happened. Normally our house smelled like vanilla mixed with freshly baked goods. But it didn't. I sighed. Something is for sure wrong.

"Mom? Dad?" I asked.

"In here hon" my dad's gruff voice seemed to be extremely soft. That was way out of the normal. Before I walked into the living room my phone buzzed in my pocket. I saw an odd number.

"Hello?"

"May? It's me Jack" the voice on the other end said. I smiled.

"Hey um Jack can I call you back I just got home and something is up"

"Yeah just call me back. Remember May if you need anything I live right on the Montana Wyoming border so I'll  be there if you guys need anything"

"Ok thanks Jack" I hung up the phone setting it down on the table.

I made my way into the living room where both of my parents sat. My mom was sitting on the recliner with her head in her hands. Her body was trembling while my dad was knelt down in front of her whispering sweet words to her. Oh crap. What happened? Who died?!?

"Dad? Mom?" my voice was shaky. Both my parents turned and looked at me. My mom's eyes were puffy and red as she had tear stains going down her face. Another tear dripped from her chin. My dad stood up making his way over to me.

"Honey your grandpa... He...He pasted away last night" my dad's voice was soft but firm.

I looked away from both of them shutting my eyes tight. This is just a bad dream. This is just a bad dream. When I opened up my eyes a lump had formed in my throat as tears swelled up on my eyes. I pinched my skin only to fell pain seep into my nerves.

"Please tell me this is a joke" I chocked out. My dad shook his head which only made a few stray tears fall.

"May..."

"Don't!" I moved away from my dad's open arms. I didn't want him to hug me. Not right now at lest.

Before anyone could say anything else I booked it out my front door. I didn't slow down in till I had to crawl through the barb wire fence. I ran straight to a pasture. I didn't know what pasture I had crawled into but I went to my favorite one. I ran the whole way to one of the back pasture that has a pine tree on top of a small hill. I raced towards the tree but before I could reach it I tripped. I landed hard on my side as my head smacked the ground.

"Holy" I yelled as my hand shot up to my head.

I sat up straight grabbing hold of my knees. I buried my head into my knees as more tears fell from my eyes. My body started to tremble with grief as memories of my grandpa and me raced through my mind. He was there for a lot. He was there at my first rodeo. He was there at my first horse show and he was there the first time I put a fishing pole in the water. He was there for a lot of first things. There wasn't gonna be anymore firsts for him to experience with me.

As that thought crossed my mind the hot tears continued to fall while my body only shook harder. My heart felt as if it was being ripped out of my chest. The only thing that comfort me was that he was now with my grandma who I lost last year. Now I was grieving for both of them.  As I let out another muffled cry I felt two noses nudge me.

I looked up through teary vision to see two horses starring at me. One was Cupid who was the closest to me while the other one was Red Dawn who stood to my left. I gave a weak smile to the horses before I grabbed Red Dawn's head. He nuzzled into me as I cried into his forlock. I slowly fell apart in the horse pasture with three horses watching over me. Before I knew it I had cried myself asleep. Laying down next to Cupid and Red Dawn I felt safe.