Chapter twenty seven

The end of the line was near. I found that Duke had been hesitating when it came to the high jumps. The jumps where it reached Duke's shoulder or as high as his head. So here I was. Sitting quietly in my truck as I started to turn into Duke's first trainer's barn. Jack on the other hand starred out his side window and hummed to the radio.

Rolling my eyes I questioned why I even brought him along with me. All Jack had been doing the whole time was ask me question about Matt and then when I told him to can it he started starring out into nowhere and hum to the radio which surprising ignored me more. So when I turned onto the cobblestone driveway I couldn't help but let out a sigh of relief.

My old Ford rumbled down the cobblestones as I watched an amazingly expensive barn appear in front of me. It's deep chocolate stained wood reached to the sky as the white fencing wrapped it's arms around the equally bright green pastures.

Everything seemed set and perfect as I watched stable hands handle long legged thoroughbreds across the cobblestones. Each horse built and bred to perfection with their lean bodies and long, lengthy legs. Jack slowly made his way to me; both of us gapping at the barn.

"May Turner!" turning my attention away from the barn I glanced to a stable hand making his way towards us.

His black short cut curls bounced gently as his brown eyes met mine. Something about him seemed all too familiar as his smiling face came up to me.

"Yeah..." his smile dimmed slightly as he probably saw my confusion. Jack moved closer to my side making the stable hand's attention flicker for just a few seconds to Jack.

"Uh never mind. So can I help you with anything?" my mind still raced through old faces as I tried to pin point the boy.

"Can you point me to the owner's officer?" I asked tenderly as I let my eyes wonder to the barn's open doors.

If the outside was this beautiful what did the inside look like? I prayed silently that I would be able to enter the barn which was thankfully answered with a nod of the stable hand.

"Sure just follow me" and in we went.

Darkly stained wood constructed beautiful stalls. Black metal giving a strong outline of every stall. Slicked back, gentle framed heads popped out over the stall window. Every face turned towards our clinking boots and soft whinnies announced their need for attention.

My eyes scanned up towards the ceiling which seemed so far away from us.

"Opf" I stopped dead in my tracks hitting the back of the stable hand's back. Glaring slightly out of the corner of his eye he opened a wooden door that all of a sudden appeared to my left.

I then noticed that we had passed all the horses and pass a tack room that sat a few passes back. The stable hand paused slightly, taking in his own deep breath as he swung the door open.

"Miss Mether?" A strict looking woman ripped her glasses off turning her attention to the three of us.

Her lips curving into a sickening grin as her eyes landed on me alone. She looked all to firmilar like the stable hand yet I couldn't place the two of them.

"Well well well. Look what the cat dragged in. Miss May Turner" my heart dropped as her voice rang every nightmare I've had to live.

Why did Duke have to go to this crazy lady instead of some hippy?