Chapter elven

I sat quietly on a bench as I watched the barrel racers line up for their turns. I on the other hand sat down on a bench with a squirming Red Dawn at my side. His feet pawed at the ground as he watched every one else get warmed up and not him.

"Stop that" I slapped his shoulder. His big brown eyes starred back into mine.

I was worked up for my run but I was also still numb from everything that happened last two weeks. It still didn't feel completely real. I felt as if my grandpa would drive up in his old rusted pick up truck and watch me run. But I was also smart enough to know that wouldn't happen. I sighed as the first girl ran into the arena. I was in trouble.

****

It was fast approaching my turn as I hopped up onto Red Dawn. He automatically started to spin in circles. Taking the rains in my hand I pulled back and made him 're focus on the task at hand. A thousand pounds of muscle is not easy to handle under these circumstances.

I had learned along time ago when I first started racing is that to be the champion you need two things. One you have to have a champion's heart and the longing to race down that stretch at full speed and to have all your trust in the horse. And two...Your horse has to have the heart of a champion and he has to live for the sport. Today my heart wasn't in it. Today I knew we wouldn't be good competers as we normally are.

Putting that aside the gate man opened up the gate giving both me and Red Dawn the signal that it was time. With out even waiting for me to grip onto the saddle horn Red Dawn blotted out into the arena. With three barrels positioned perfectly in their spots Red Dawn moved quickly to the right barrel.

All I had to do was grab the saddle horn, hold on for dear life and keep my ass in the saddle seat. This was Red Dawn's third season and he already knew the pattern as if he had been running this pattern since he came out of his mommy.

Our turns where tight. Our speed un stop able.

My heart started to beat a little faster and my once numb body was now surging with energy. I had finally became alive for once in a long time.

We round the last barrel and headed straight for home. My butt popped out of the saddle for a few seconds as Red Dawn saw home stretch and picked up her speed unexpectedly. A smile stretched across my face as I whistled to Red Dawn, signalling it was time to put it all out there. His strides increased and his neck stretched out. Ears pinned tightly against his head as my body was leaned up against his neck.

As I pulled him up to a stop I saw a few girls smile at me and a dew that looked like I had just killed their dog. I smiled proudly as I finally felt like a human again. Who knew that one run would bring life back into heart? Actually I kinda figured that. Hehe.

I slid off of Red Dawn as I waited for our time. The time to bet was thirteen seconds. I figited with my hands as I waited.

"Ladies and gentlemen. With a time of twelve point five seconds May Smith and Red Dawn have won!" The announcer called. My smile grew. It wasn't our best time ever but at least we one. At lest I've became alive again.

Sorry for any spelling errors. I just didn't feel like editing this chapter. :(. On the bright side share your love! Comment vote read more books!