Chapter three

Huston was hot as hell in July. The temperature is about 90 degrees and its three a clock in the afternoon!! Red Dawn stood at the trailer where he was in shade. Even in the shade my poor pony was sweating like we had ran a marathon.

I checked his water bucket again to see it was empty. Again. I grabbed the bucket and headed to the water fosit at a food stand. I tapped my foot on the dry ground as I waited for the bucket to be filled.

"Hey May" I turned around to the sound of my voice. I wipped away the sweat under my hat when I spotted Jack leaving a group of ropers and heading this way.

Oh my God he didn't have a shirt on! Ok none of the boys had shirts on but this is Jack Hatch. With a nice set of six packs and the fact that I just so happen to have a crush on. I quickly moved my eyes off of his chest and back to his eyes. Don't be a fool May I lectured myself.

"Hey" he said again.

"H..hi" I shuttered. Stupid move, stupid move.

"Your water it's uh" he points to the water bucket which was  now over flowing.

"Oh shit" I quickly shut the water foset and dumped some of the water out. Way to be smooth May. Way to be smooth.

"Here I'll get it" Before I could protest Jack took the water bucket from my hand and started to walk away with it.

"I could have got that" I said falling in step with him.

"I know but I'm the guy so I'll carry it" he shot me a sideways smile. I scolfted.

"Yes your a guy but it is my horse and I can handle myself" I became defensive as I grabbed the bucket from his hands.

"Well obviously your boyfriend isn't a good one if he lets you go around carrying your own water bucket looking like that" I stopped  in my tracks and looked over at him. What he mean looking like that?

"Excuse me? One I don't have a boyfriend" I put air quotes around Boyfriend.

"And two what you mean looking like that" I spat. What the hell? I looked perfectly fine for being on my fucken period at a rodeo in 90 degree weather.

"You don't have a boyfriend?" he asked. I rolled my eyes. You don't need a boyfriend. I don't have time for one.

"No I don't have one" I switched the water bucket to my right arm. With out waiting for another word I started back to my trailer which lucky for me was right in front of me.

"Then no one is gonna care if you go out with me tonight?" Jack asked next to my truck as I hung up the water bucket. I looked over at him.

"Uh I might mind" I opened up the trailer's tack room to retrieve my Arizona ice tea.

"Did your dad come with ya this time?" Jack inched closer to me. Ever so slightly but he did take a step towards me. I took a swig out if the tea shaking my head no.

Lucky for me my mom asked my dad to stay with her and let me live the rodeo with out him. I did love when my parents came to the rodeos with me but they were like cowboy killers. As soon as a cowboy that was looking at me he would then see my parents. They thought twice about coming over to me at that point. Yeah everyone knew my parents name but my dad was kinda a scary man. He always kept a shotgun under the truck seat and everyone knew that.

"What time you got to be home?" he took another step towards me making me take a step back. I didn't mind Jack and I trusted that he wouldn't hurt me but he did make me nervous.

"I don't know at lest by Tuesday" Today was Friday. It takes me a day and a half to get home from Huston Texas to my home in Montana. That includes all the bathroom stops and the time I'll pull over to take a nap.

"Well then come on. Tonight after the rodeo is done come out with me" I played all the bad sensors in my head but when I looked up to Jack and something I thought I would never say came out.

"I'd love to" I squeaked out. A huge Texas smile crossed Jack's face.

"See ya after the barrel racing competition" and with that he left. Red Dawn whinnied behind me. I turned around narrowing my eyes at my horse.

"Don't you even start" I pointed to him as I went to pick his hooves. God what had I got myself into?