Preface

Preface

       "You know what to do."

       "Do I?" The Immortal said on a disgruntled sigh and ran a hand through his fair hair. The uncertainty in his red gaze made anger start to boil within mine.

       "If you fuck this up because you can't handle it, I will have your blood feeding this town for eternity."

       Crimson eyes widened before the lesser demon bowed his head. "I did not mean any disrespect, my lord. I just worry the council—"

       "Will not interfere. They will be too preoccupied searching for my body."

       "And the girl?" He prompted, as if the rage simmering in my disembodied voice did little to affect him. What a grave mistake for him to make. "What if she doesn't come?"

       "She will come." I let my power withdraw from the vampire until my presence was nothing more than a whisper on the wind. "She always has before, and she always will."

       "Avidus—"

       "She will be all alone, be here friend."

       "And if she doesn't want any part of this?"

       I would have gladly wiped the raised eyebrow from his ageless face in a rather bloody way if my strength wasn't already fading. I needed to conserve as much of it as I could. The next few months were going to be very draining, and until I had access to my full power, I needed to restrain the rest.

       "Then I will let her go."

       "Sure."