Chapter 25

Hey guys! I know the pic above looks a little It - ish, but I still really liked it!

Sorry for any grammar and spelling mistakes!

Please comment, vote, and follow!

Enjoy!

-&-

Chapter 25

       I was actually having a pleasant time sitting in the stone courtyard outside that Cathedral. It was chilly rest against the marble bench, though licking an ice cream cone while I watched Raf didn't help either. Then, like usual, my enjoyment went to shit.

       A heavy body sat down on the other side of the bench my butt was occupying. I glanced briefly over to glare at the intruder, but dread filled my stomach instead. Luke was sitting casually beside me, his usual dark sunglasses covering those brown eyes, as a black leather jacket sat perfectly over his square shoulders.

       He would have made the perfect hot 'bad boy next door' that I would have typically gone for in Sacramento, if it wasn't for the all-consuming hatred I had for him and his 'friends'. And I was infatuated with Adriel.

       "Get. Lost." I spoke each word between separate licks of my ice cream. I was honestly proud of how strong my voice sounded. No wavering whatsoever, even though my insides were consumed with anxious nerves.

       "Well, that's not very nice." Luke spoke casually, with no malice in his tone at all. His lips even pulled up slightly at the corner in an amused smile. One I wanted to smack off his stupid face.

       "I don't care. Leave."

       "I just want to talk. I promise. Nothing else. We can even sit right here, in the middle of the day, surrounded by people if that makes you feel better." The way he spoke only strengthened that fear in my stomach. Like he knew that I knew. That he was one of them.

       "You're one of them, aren't you? One of those freaks with the red eyes." Admitting out loud that I was actually starting to believe in this stuff was far from reassuring. I kept my eyes glued to Rafael, who was chasing pigeons a few feet away. Even though I didn't want her anywhere near the birds, it was a lot better than being on this bench right now.

       "'Freak' is a little harsh, don't you think?" He stretched one long arm out across the top of the bench, his fingers barely an inch from my shoulder. I shifted uneasily away. I didn't like how at ease he was making himself, like he couldn't tell I had Yarrow shoved into every single one of my pockets.

       Maybe that was why he was trying extra hard to appear comfortable, because he wasn't.

       "No, I actually think it's pretty nice for what I really want to call you." I finished off the ice cream and tossed the cone into the trashcan beside the bench. "Now, I'm going to get my sister, and we're going to leave. Do not follow me, or I swear I will stab you with this iron knife I ordered on Amazon. Goodbye."

       I went to stand up and walk away like a badass, but his hand reached out and grabbed onto my wrist before I could.

       "I wasn't kidding about that knife. I swear I'll shank you in front of all these people."

        He laughed, and I wasn't all too pleased at that. "Oh, trust me. I believe you. I promise, but I really just want to talk. I'm not here to hurt you. I'll even hold onto some of those weeds in your pocket if you want."

       Ha! I knew he knew I had them!

       Then a sickening thought hit me. "Wait, so they won't hurt you?"