Chapter 9

Hey guys! That's it for the covers so far! Feel free to send me any art or more covers!

Sorry for any grammar and editing mistakes!

Please comment, vote, and follow!

Enjoy!

-&-

Chapter 9

       The next morning was fairly... ordinary. River, Siena and I all got coffee at the café, discussed the latest gossip revolving around a rather scandalous party in the freshmen dorm the night before-even though it had been a Wednesday-and went home for lunch, where Adriel was waiting with some crummy take out. But I didn't complain. No matter how badly the guy could get under my skin, I would never scoff at spending time with him.

       It wasn't until later that day when I went back for my afternoon classes, that things took a turn for the worst.

       "Oh my God. Did you guys hear?" River exclaimed loudly, despite the quiet of our Deshua of the Ages classroom as he took a hurried seat at my side. My raised eyebrow matched that of Siena's pierced purple one. "That freshman party last night? A girl went missing!"

       "And why exactly do you sound excited about that?" Siena drawled at my other side, but I didn't pay much attention. An icy chill went down my spine as a tight ball of anxiety settled heavily in my stomach.

       "Because it's a mystery, Siena! Finally, something interesting happened in this God-forsaken town."

       "She probably just got too drunk and wandered off. I'm sure the girl will show up soon." Siena's disinterest was the exact opposite of her best friend, who was so excited that he was practically bouncing out of his seat.

       "We should go look for her after class."

       That ball of anxiety grew, but I couldn't find the words to figure out why as Siena rolled her eerie gray eyes. "I'm sure the cops are doing a good enough job of it on their own."

       "Really? I figured you would take up any excuse to go see Lady Jess." The goth perked up almost immediately at his words and the disinterest in her eyes faded to excitement.

       "I have been wanting to buy a few new crystals."

       "Lady Jess?" I said around the unease slithering through me. Whatever the reason, this whole situation didn't feel right.

       "The town's psychic. Si is obsessed with her." Siena lifted her arm behind me to shove at River, but the ball in my stomach turned to lead.

       "A psychic?" And her name was Jess?

       "Oh yeah, you're going to love her."

        I wasn't so sure about that.

-&-

       "Come on," Siena laughed as her pierced tongue flicked out to lick that ruby red lollipop clenched between her slender fingers. The stark contrast of the candies color and her dark purple lips made her look even more edgy-not that the black charcoal eyeliner circling her bright gray eyes needed any help with that. "You can't tell me you've never been to a psychic before."

       I shrugged my shoulders and glanced away from the cavity-wielding sugar. "Never really had a desire to." I didn't need some crook telling me my love life was shit, and that I suffered a hard past. I knew that well enough on my own, but the excited gleam in Siena's eyes made the disdain die on my tongue. Besides, if a girl really was missing and if this Jess character knew how to find her, it wouldn't be right to ignore it. Despite the unpleasantness swirling in my gut. Though I only had about an hour to play hero before I had to go relieve Raf's babysitter.