Chapter 17

Hey guys!

Sorry for any grammar and editing mistakes!

Please comment, vote, and follow! 

Enjoy!

-&- 

Chapter 17

       I just got home for the day and was about to make lunch for Adriel and me, when my phone lit up with a message. I frowned down at his bold name flashing across my screen. This man never texted me before in his life, now I get two in a two week-period? Can't come home for lunch. Stuck at the site.

       Well that's just great.

       My mind had been reeling all day from Professor Shorzin's lecture, and I was really hoping to see Dri for a while. This week was starting to suck just as much as the last one. I didn't want to be alone in that house either, not with all it's dark corners and shadows. Then a thought flashed through my mind, and a wide smile pulled at my lips. Adriel still got a lunch, he just couldn't leave the site. I knew he didn't pack any food that morning since he was supposed to come back here, and the crazy man would be starving by now.

       I put together a few hastily made sandwiches, with five different kinds of cold cuts that insane male always ate and threw a few bags of chips into his lunch box. I tried to ignore the eerie silence of the house as best as I could, but I couldn't help feeling like the monsters under beds and hiding in closets were real now. But they weren't. No matter what my dreams thought, they were just dreams. I believed in what I could see. Except, my mind was now playing tricks on my eyes.

       I didn't know what I could believe anymore.

       I hurried to my car with a smile pulling on my lips. It was the first time that entire day I felt anything close to happy. Not that it had anything to do with that arrogant, pig-headed, insanely fuckable blue eyed idiot I was bringing food to. I assumed the 'site' was that big construction dig in the center of town he said he would be working at occasionally. I pulled into the once-upon-a-time park's parking lot a few minutes later.

       The sun was still high in the sky, and there were no dark spots slinking around the area. I frowned at all the workers and their hard hats crowding around the overturned piles of dirt and construction equipment. They all looked exactly the same. Everyone was wearing flannels or black t-shirts, with dark boot-cut jeans, construction boots, and tool belts. They all had hard hats on too, so I couldn't clearly make out anyone's face.

       Where the hell was he?

       I glanced over at a hillier area of the site where two more men were standing on top of a tightly compacted dirt pile, one of them holding a large clipboard and radio. Well, that looked like a boss, and Dri did say he was in charge of people. I'm taking that as my best bet, or they could tell me where he was at least.

       I maneuvered easily around the large work-trucks but trudging around piles of dirt and workers was another matter. There were a few wolf calls, and whistles, while others yelled that I wasn't supposed to be there and to get out. I ignored them and made a bee line for the two guys at the top of the hill.

       I had just started up the little hill the two were on when voices reached my ears, and sure enough, one of them was Adriel's. "We had a deal." Dri's voice was a hard sigh as the guy at his side gave a beaming smile to the blue-eyed idiot.

       The closer I got, the more I could see of his 'friend', and let me say, the man was gorgeous. He was tall, like Adriel, with tan skin, golden-blond hair, and eyes such a sparkling gold they could put the sun to shame. "And I haven't broken that deal." The guy spoke, that bright, beaming smile still on his lips.