Chapter 15

Hey guys! Here's another update 'cause I'm so darn nice!

Don't forget to check my comment feed on my profile for important updates and info!

Sorry for any grammar and editing mistakes!

Please comment, vote, and follow!

Enjoy!

-&-

Chapter 15

       I still ran a street pass mine and cut through some random people's backyards just in case those red-eyed freaks were still lurking around. I burst through the back door of the manor and slammed the wood shut so loudly I was sure I woke even the ghosts in the attic. The ghosts I didn't believe in. I didn't know what I believed anymore. I made sure the deadbolt was locked before running to the front door and testing that one.

       "Larkin?"

       I whirled around to see a half-asleep Adriel standing in the entry way of the living room. He was yawning and rubbing at one of his dark blue eyes, still wearing the same clothes as when I left. It had to be two in the morning, easily, and the thought that he must have tried to stay awake for me flashed through my mind. I would feel guilty about that later, but right then I was so happy to see him I nearly cried.

       I raced across the space between us and threw my arms tightly around his neck. "Whoa..." He rasped sleepily as my weight crashed into him and forced that toned body to stumble back. "Lark, what's wrong?" I couldn't answer him. I was terrified that if I tried to speak the barriers I had built in my eyes would break and I would start balling like a baby. So, I just squeezed my arms tighter around him and tried not to shake.

       "Hey. Hey, it's okay." I didn't realize I was trembling until his strong hands were running gently over my back and cradling me against him. "I'm right here, Angel." That officially broke the dam, and I couldn't force down the sob that racked through my body. But he didn't pull away and force me to tell him what happened. He just held my body tightly against his and rubbed those strong hands down my hair and over my back, whispering sweet words and reassurances the entire time.

       I nearly protested when he eventually started to pull away, but I had been attached to him like a parasite longer than I realized. "Come on." He took my hand and led me through the dining room and into the kitchen. I let him pull out a bar stool and gestured to sit. "Did someone hurt you?" Dri asked softly a moment later as he wet a washcloth and walked back over.

       I tried to sniff the rest of the tears away and shook my head. Still too afraid to talk. "You know you just have to tell me who they are, and I'll take care of it." My eyes flickered to his, and the complete seriousness there tore at my heart.

       "No, Dri. No one hurt me." Not for lack of trying though. His stony expression didn't ease, but his touch was gentle as I let him wipe the tears and ruined make-up from my cheeks.

       "Tell me later?" He asked softly, and I nodded even though I felt like such a complete and total dick. I knew he was going to be worried and concerned until I told him what happened, but how could I explain something that I didn't even know?

       "Were you waiting up for me?" I asked softly, my voice raspy from crying, as he went back to the sink to rinse the cloth out.

       "Of course." Those two simple words made my chest clench and had the guilt weighing on my shoulders feel like icy boulders.

"You have to go to work in a few hours."

       He shrugged and came back over to keep wiping gently at my face. "I wanted to apologize for being such a fucking ass earlier." My eyes widened at his words, and the small smile pulling on his lips eased the guilt raging through me. "I shouldn't have gotten so upset, I'm sorry."