Chapter 29

Hey guys!

Sorry for any grammar and editing mistakes! Not sure how great the editing is on this one, I added some stuffs last minute, so extra sorry!

Please comment, vote, and follow!

Enjoy!

-&-

Chapter 29

       The tunnel was just as dark and creepy leaving the cavern as it was when I entered, if not more My mind was still a complete and total mess, and it would be for a very long time, but I knew the only way to sort through everything was to get as far away from Deshua as I could.

       "Awe, yes, Larkin. You were right River."

       We had just exited the mouth of the cave when that voice reached our ears. Adriel pulled us to an immediate stop as I frowned and looked over his shoulder. "Professor Shorzin? What are you doing here?" I went to step in front of Dri, but his hand tightened on mine and he shifted until I was completely behind him.

       "See? I told you they knew where he really was!"

       "River? What are you guys doing here?" A whole crowd of fifteen or twenty people stood surrounding the entrance of the cave, and four of them I knew very well.

       Shorzin, River, and Siena stood at the very front of the crowd. My folklore professor had an elated smile on his face, though River kept glancing at us nervously—well, he kept glancing at Adriel nervously—and Siena just stood stalk silent beside them. Jess was there too, but she didn't look nearly as comfortable as everyone else. If anything, she looked worried.

       "What the hell is going on?" I went to step around Adriel again, but he made a weird sound and pushed me back.

       "Well, you see, when young River here saw you disappear into the very place we purposely made sure no one can go, we make it a point to follow. Especially after your little talk with our Jess here." Shorzin took a step forward, his beaming eyes, with the laugh lines at the corner, gleamed in the dim light of the forest. His usual ponytail was nowhere in sight, and his long hair framed like a curtain around his thin face. He still wore his khaki shorts, Hawaiian shirt and sandals which made the whole sinister air he was portraying all that weirder.

       "Leave me out of this, Jemison. I told you I want nothing to do with it."

       Shorzin just waved off the small woman's words and took another step towards us. Adriel's arm reached around until his hand could grab protectively at the sleeve of my jacket. "I'm sure you could imagine my surprise when pretty boy there followed after you too. Turns out we're not the only ones good at hiding." He let a chuckle follow his words, and I could practically feel Dri tense in front of me.

       What in the actual fuck was happening? And why was Shorzin acting like a massive creep? Like he knew.

       "Fuck off, piss ant."

       "You always did have such a way with words, Avidus."

       Oof. Okay, I guess he did know.

       Adriel stepped completely in front of me at that, blocking every ounce of my view. His hold body tensed liked he was ready for a fight. I knew he could do some damage, but there were at least fifteen people surrounding us. I highly doubted he could take them all, even if I helped. He might have been the demon/not demon thingy, but this was still just a human body. I think.

       I glanced over at River and Siena, who no longer held those inviting smiles. Were they apart of this too? Was anything in this fucking town real?! Siena was in her typical goth attire, but there was a dark fire in her eyes as she looked at Adriel that concerned me. River was standing between her and Shorzin with that nervous glint dancing across his bright eyes.