Chapter 11 -M

*Rated M*

I posting the cover above again just because I think it goes so deliciously well with the chapter. Thank to whoscountinganyway for the cover!

Sorry for any grammar and editing mistakes!

Please comment, vote and follow!

Enjoy!

-&-

Chapter 11

       I was in and out of sleep for most of the day. At some points I could have sworn Adriel was sitting on the bed beside me, his hand running gently through the loose curls in my hair. At other points he was sitting in a chair at my side, a book or phone in one hand, his head resting heavily in the other. Regardless, I had a feeling he didn't leave my side the entire time.

       "Lark, wake up." I grumbled something unintelligible and turned away from the gentle hand trying to pull me from sleep. His low chuckle was enough to make my eyes blink open. "Come on, Angel. You've been sleeping all day. You need to eat."

       "I don't want to." I mumbled and buried my face back into the pillow.

       "You have to, and we need to talk." He spoke the last part much softer than the first, and it pulled at that thing beating slowly in my chest. I sighed and rolled over until I could blink up at those blue eyes.

       "If I eat, will you let me sleep?"

       I wasn't sure if his answering smile was confirmation or just wishful thinking on my part. I pushed my groggy body up into a sitting position and let Adriel place a bowl in my hands. I blinked down at the chicken and noodles. "You cooked?" I spooned the chicken and let it fall back into the bowl. That smile turned more into a smirk as he took a seat on the edge of the bed.

       "Sure, if you count opening a can and heating it in a pot 'cooking'."

       I smiled but didn't say anything as I sipped a noodle into my mouth. We were quiet for a long while as I ate my soup and Adriel played absentmindedly with the edge of the comforter. "Larkin..." He finally started sometime later. "I can't even begin to tell you how sorry I am."

       I sighed against the back of the spoon I had just finished licking. "It's not your fault, Dri."

       "The sensors didn't go off. I put those in. I checked the locks—and I didn't wake up when you needed me. It's completely my fault." The remorse in his voice tore at my heart and I set the half-eaten soup down on the nightstand before leaning closer.

       "You can't blame yourself for technology not working, or for my subconscious going insane." I rested my hand against the intricate knot tattoo hidden beneath the sleeve of his t-shirt. Dark blue eyes glanced slowly over me, the look swimming behind them too hard to read.

       "I promised you it wouldn't happen again. You could have gotten hurt. I didn't even... I thought you were just staying in your room because of—of the day before. I didn't know—I had no idea you weren't here." Adriel raised a heavy hand and ran it raggedly through his hair. "I should have known."

       I had never seen him like this before. So unsure of, well, himself. Adriel was confident, so confident it turned arrogant on more than one occasion. It was one of the qualities I admired the most about him, though I would never admit that to the guy. Seeing him this upset was unsettling. I scooted closer to his large body, the one taking up more than its fair share on the edge of my bed. His lips pulled upwards at the action.