Chapter 7

Hey guys! Thank you so much to Camillabean5 for the amazing cover above and the ones below!

Sorry for any grammar and editing mistakes!

Please comment, vote, and follow!

Enjoy!

-&-

Chapter 7

       I knew those five nights of dreamless sleep were too good to be true.

       The nightmare tore through me like a hurricane wrecking the Gulf of Mexico. Much like the first night in that god forsaken town, I stood at the base of the beautiful cathedral. Unlike that night, dozens of people surrounded me. Their lips pulled into cruel smiles with pointed teeth. Deep, ruby, red eyes watched hungrily as I fled up the large marble steps.

       Heat suddenly pressed against my back and licked at my sides. I turned, expecting to see those demons right on my heels, instead fire had engulfed the whole town. The bright red and oranges flames rolled over buildings charring their ancient bricks. I blinked, and the fire gave way to bodies coating the cobblestone streets.

       I fell harshly against the rough marble, blood coating my skin and staining my white dress red. I looked desperately around for someone, anyone, but no one came. Not even the shadowed man with the pitch-black eyes. I was alone in a mass of fire and death.

       "Larkin." A strong grip suddenly wrapped around my arm and yanked me from the darkness. My eyes shot open, and I choked down tears of desperation. I will never cry because of a nightmare again.

       Adriel was sitting on the edge of the bed, the warm palm of his hand placed gently on my shoulder. I let out a shaky breath and closed my eyes against the worry in his. "I thought your nightmares were getting better." He spoke softly, and that low dark timber washed away the fear racing through my veins.

       "So did I."

       His thumb rubbed slow soothing circles into the skin of my shoulder. I had worn my usual tank-top to bed and the heat of his skin against mine made my heart race for a whole new reason. "Do you want to talk about it?" I shrugged my free shoulder. "Come on, Lark. It will help."

       His grip coaxed me into a sitting position, even though I just wanted to curl up in the corner and wallow in self-pity. "It was just... really weird." I tried not to pay attention to the fact that he placed his hand on the bed beside my waist and all but caged me in his strong arms. I wonder what it would feel like to wrap my hands around that bicep and squeeze.

       "What happened?"

       I shrugged again, and my eyes dropped to my fingers as they played with the edge of my comforter. "There were these—I don't know what the hell to call them—people chasing me. They had fangs, and red-eyes. And then there was this fire and it burned the whole town, and then it disappeared, and everyone was just dead."

       I stopped resisting the urge to touch him and lowered my forehead until it rested against his strong shoulder. "And there was blood everywhere, Dri." I let myself cuddle into him, my arms wrapping tightly around the one he had thrown across my torso. Fudge it. I just dreamt of blood and fire eating me alive. If I wanted to hold the damn man than I was going to.

       "It's alright, Angel. It was just a dream." His lips pressed softly against the top of my head and those strong fingers eased through the loose curls of my hair. I relaxed into him. Adriel made everything better.