Chapter 5

Hey guys! Thank you so much to whoscountinganyway for the awesome, beautiful covers above and at the end of the chapter! 

Sorry for any grammar and editing mistakes! This chapter has been edited so please feel free to point out any errors you see!

Please comment, vote, and follow!

Enjoy!

-&- 

Chapter 5

       Contacts.

       It had to be colored contacts. I tried to convince myself for the thousandth time hours later. I couldn't even think straight while I was tearing apart Adriel's room looking for that damn receipt—to no avail might I add. That jerk either threw it away or had it hidden really well.

       I groaned and leaned my forehead against the steering wheel. It was five in the afternoon, the exact time Adriel specified to be there, but he still wasn't ready to leave. Raf was playing on her Nintendo Switch in the backseat with headphones glued to her ears, completely oblivious to the fact that I had been losing my mind all afternoon.

       "Hey—"

       "Fuck!" I nearly jumped out of my skin when the driver-side door suddenly open. Adriel's brow raised questioningly and his lips pulled at the corners. "You scared the hell out me!" I snapped and urged my fingers to let go of their death grip on the wheel.

       "Hello to you too... Hey," His amused look gave way to a worried frown and he reached for my arm as I jumped out of the seat. "Are you okay?"

       "No, you freaked me out." I yanked my arm out of his grasp and walked quickly to the passenger's side before he could say anything else. I was afraid, but not because of him, and deep down I knew I shouldn't have taken that fear out on him. He just made it so darn easy to be mad at him.

       "Hi Adriel!" His sister beamed as Dri climbed into the driver's side. He shot her a small smile in the rearview mirror as I buckled my seatbelt. "Hey kiddo, how was your day?"

       "Great! Lark and I did a bunch of shopping, and we got ice cream! Except she bought a lot of gross healthy food and says we have to eat it." Raffie stuck her tongue out at me and I rolled my eyes.

       "You excited for school tomorrow?" Adriel asked as he pulled out of the awesome parking job I did. I couldn't drive well, my ass. I backed this beast into that spot like it was nothing.

       "Oh yeah! I got this really cool backpack and it has a bunch of—" I tuned out the long explanation of everything we had bought her and rested my head against the cool glass of the window.

       Colored contacts. There was no question about it. But why did they look so real?

       I hadn't realized my leg was bouncing anxiously until one large, and insanely warm, hand covered my knee. Adriel's blue eyes stayed glued to the windshield as Raffie rambled on, but squeezed my leg when he noticed me glance his way. "How was your day?" He asked carefully once Raf finished her in-depth analysis report of all her school supplies.

       I dragged my gaze away from his hand and shrugged. It took all I had not to rub my palms nervously down my skinny-jean covered thighs. He was still touching me, and I could feel heat radiating from his palm into my skin. Was it hot in here? Or was that just the mental image of him running that hand up my thigh? I forced my leg to stop bouncing.