Chapter 16

Hey guys! 

Sorry for any grammar and editing mistakes!

Please comment, vote, and follow!

Enjoy!

-&-

Chapter 16

       I so did not want to go back to school on Monday. Honestly, I didn't want Raffie or Adriel leaving the house either. I was used to guys making unwanted advances in California. I could handle that. But despite a weekend long spree of convincing myself that Dri had been right about what happened, I still wasn't so sure I imagined what I saw. What else was lurking in the dark, waiting for me and my family to walk into it ignorantly?

       I had to shake my head and unclench my fingers from Rafael's. She stared up at me with her big, blue, doe eyes, and one eyebrow raised. The sight reminded me a little too much of a certain arrogant male for my taste. "So, why are you taking me to school again?" The nine-year-old asked as I drove my little yellow bug over the smooth streets of Deshua.

       "I just want to make sure you get there on time." I lied and slowed the car down as we approached the school's speed bumps. Adriel was going to take her to the bus stop that morning on his way to work, but I insisted on driving her instead. I couldn't control what happened between the bus stop to the school, couldn't protect her from any red-eyed demons lurking in the shadows.

       "The bus gets me to school on time every day, Lark."

       "Whatever, kid." I grumbled as we pulled to a stop in the long line of cars dropping their children off.

       "Are you going to creepy-drive me home from school, too?" Both of her eyebrows raised that time, even though that sneaky smile pulled at her little lips. I rolled my eyes.

       "No, the bus can take you home." It would be the middle of the day then, with the sun shining brightly over everything. "Not get out of my car. I'm done looking at you."

       "Love you too, Lark!" She sang happily as she hopped out of the bug with her bag clutched tightly around her little shoulders. Little turd.

       "Love you too, Raf."

       She shot me a beaming smile before slamming the door shut and skipping off for the school's entrance. I let out a groan as that whole side of the car shuttered. Did she really have to slam it so fucking hard?

         I had another hour before my first class started at eight, but I didn't want to go back to the empty silent manor. Adriel had thought that going back to school after our long weekend of me cowering in my room and him and Raffie trying to coax me out, was a good idea. But I could also tell he didn't want to leave. Those dark blue eyes had hesitated before he left for work, his strong hand staying an extra minute on the front doorknob as I made sure Raffie had everything. He made me promise to call him if I needed anything.

       I didn't want to keep worrying him. Adriel hadn't left my side all weekend, and despite how close our bodies were that entire time, he never pushed limits like most guys would. That dark, encompassing concern shining brightly through his eyes squashed all thoughts of even daring trying to make a move on him. I so wasn't in the right state of mind anyways. Besides, it was only a one-time thing, including that kiss in the kitchen. That was all I could ever allow it to be.

       I went home long enough to grab my backpack and laptop, then locked the doors and hightailed it to school. The psychic's words had started ringing in my ears Friday afternoon when I turned the lights in my closet on before cowering back under my covers. "Stay out of the shadows." I still thought the lady was crazy, but after recent developments, I started taking her words to heart. I avoided all dark corners and spaces, even in the safety of the manor. I kept all the lights in my room on, even begged Adriel to keep the hallway lit. He had raised one, dark, suspicious brow, but didn't argue when I jumped for the light switch.