Chapter 17: Music Makes Me Lose Control

"Hey." Hunter waves as soon as he sees the three of us. He's standing in line and motions for us to join him. He is dressed casually with boardshorts and a colorful fitted tank. 

"I hope you didn't wait too long?" 

"The parking was awful!" Fran complains.

"Nope. It's fine." Hunter shrugs. "You excited though?" 

"Hell yeah. I love Porter Robinson and Madeon." I gush a bit. "This is their only collaboration so I am plenty excited." 

"Same, though honestly I am not a huge EDM fan." Hunter admits.

"It's okay. Jon isn't either." Jon glances up at his name and shrugs in agreement. 

"Guess we are both here for the company," Jon smiles.

"Cheesy." Fran laughs.

"For you." Jon bumps her shoulder gently.

"Much cheese." I frown slightly but laugh it off. I turn back to Hunter.

"So what type of music are you into then?" 

"I guess more R&B, rap, and such." 

"Really?" I say a little surprised.

"What did you expect me to like?"

"Oh, I was thinking Taylor Swift and Harry Styles." 

"Well," he leans in closely. "Those are my true music. Don't tell anyone." 

"Your secret is safe with me."  Wow, his eyelashes are so lush and long.  

"But really, I grew up around that type of music. It's in my blood and culture. I don't look it, but I'm a quarter Black." 

"Really?" I don't know whether to believe it or not. He certainly looks mixed, but in this society, we need to be more careful with how we approach the topic of ethnicity and culture. It's not completely acceptable to go to someone and ask, "Wow, what are you?" That's offensive nowadays.

I mean, I'm a little tired of when people come up to me and ask, "So, what are you?" 

Hello. I'm human. That's what I am.

For a minute, he seems embarrassed and caught off guard. "I don't even know why I said it. I usually don't go around telling people, but yes." He says it like it's no big deal. 

"No, I get it. People sometimes ask, "What are you?" Or make ignorant comments when they find out I am mixed." I shrug. I've gotten over it.

"But Dela...what are you?" Hunter smiles as he leans in.

"Shut up," I shove him gently.

"I'm half Japanese, half White." I say after. 

The four of us create a "people train" and head to the front of the crowd. We try to get as close to the front of the stage. Eventually, we find ourselves as close as we can. We shove our way to the first couple rows. 

And it is really squished in the first couple rows. I find myself pressed closely against Hunter. I glimpse Jon and Fran in the same position. All of us look like sardines.

"Can you see?" Hunter notices my attempts to look through the little crack between the guys' shoulders in front of me.

"Somewhat." I sigh as I try to find the angle that is the best for me to see the djs.

"You want to climb up?" Hunter gestures to his shoulders. 

I realize now that he's shirtless. He must have taken it off when he was getting to the front of the crowd with us. That, or someone ripped it off. 

"My eyes are up here." Hunter laughs as I blush a deep red. 

"Sorry." I glance away from his sculpted body. He could be one of those Abercrombie model poster dudes.

Now, I really notice my back is pressed against his rock solid body. It's really hard not to notice. Perhaps it would be better to be on his shoulders than in this position. 

"You sure?" I say skeptically.

"The view is great up here!" Fran screams as she sways to the music. Jon laughs as he holds on to her legs.

I nod very hesitantly before joining Fran. This could lead to complications. I don't do complicated because I'm already complicated enough. 

Yet, as I stare in Hunter's eyes, I can't help but trust him. I do hope this doesn't end badly. I take a deep breath and nod. 

Instantly, I feel like I'm the Queen of the world.

"The view is amazing!" I grin happily as I gaze at the beautiful lights before me. The DJ Porter Robinson and Madeon have the most amazing visuals. Lights flash all around me, covering me in a colorful, blinding scene. 

"You're glowing!" Fran laughs and smile brightly. Her contagious grin and mood infects me as I feel literally lifted. 

With every beat and drop, the four of us bob and sway together as one. 

And it's magical.

Time passes so quickly. 

Every worry, tension, and negative flows out of me as I simply enjoy the music. 

But with all good things, it ends.

"Wow." I can't wipe the grin from my face. 

"I know." Hunter beams, which is quite a sight itself too. 

"I hope I wasn't too heavy for you. You probably got quite a workout." I apologize. He never complained but I still feel guilty for making him carry me. 

"You're fine. You're light for small girl."

I am about to retort something back before Fran pulls me away to the merchandise area.

"Let's get matching Shelter sweatshirts!" 

"Dude, those are expensive." I frown. 

"It's okay. I'll buy it as an early birthday present!"  

"No, it's fine. I can buy it myself." My frown depends. Fran can sometimes be a little naive about money. She likes to spend whatever she wants however she wants. My siblings and I have some money waiting for us once we turn eighteen due to my parents' accident, but other than that, we aren't as loaded as Fran. 

"Nah, I got you." She buys it before I can refuse.

"Are you guys buying anything?" I ask Jon and Hunter.

"Nah. We are good." They shrug. 

"Your loss!" Fran says as she grabs the shopping bag from the cashier.

"Damn time flies past really quickly." She checks her phone. "It's almost midnight!" 

"Let's grab a bite before we head home." Jon suggests.

"Do you need a ride Hunter?" Jon remembers that Hunter met us here.

"Sure, that'd be great." 

"How long are you going to hold his hand for?" Fran teases.

I look down and realize that for some reason I am holding Hunter's hand. 

I immediately let go and step away in surprise. I didn't realize I had been holding his hand.

"Sorry." I rub the back of my neck awkwardly when I realize that might have offended him a little.

"It's alright." He shrugs. 

Wow. How did I not notice.

I glance at my hand and frown because I find out I really like holding his hand.